retirement and buying a new car. no tyre saver jaguar xf

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my friend d nearing retirement has been visiting a jaguar showroom and bought a xf which was a factory order saving over 4k on the list price. after collecting the car and discussing he realised the car did not come with a spare tyre. there is some glue and a compressor but it seems when this is used most tyre firms will throw away the tyre (£250)

i did some research and there seems to be quite a few others that are unhappy with the spare tyre situation but i have seen some happy customers helped by the dealer or jaguar.

we went to the dealers and spoke to the sales man. i did not see that he wanted to help. he mentioned that if ordered new it could have been added on for £135 but as d had bought a cancelled order this was not possible. he suggested a tyre saver kit could be bought but this was £400 now. he was not very helpful and only when i suggested on the net others had been helped out by jaguar he suggested this route....

i sent a mail to jaguar but was told the contract is with d and the dealer....

could you help me where i stand in law to advise d with the dealer..

i hope that explains the story so far....

thanks

As I understand it, most manufacturers are gonig down this route. Instead of having a 'space saver' spare wheel, they provide a puncture repair kit comprising of a compressor and sealent (as you indicate here). When buying a car new (to order), i think it is now an option to which you prefer; spare wheel or repair kit. Not sure what your complaint is because you have the choice to either except the car's equipment as it is or not to be honest as you are buying a car which is already in stock at over £4k saving. Obviously there is nothing illegal in not having a spare anymore and to be honest, these kits save you having to change the wheel. Jaguar are correct in saying that the matter is between you (or should I say your friend) and the dealer. Sorry but I don't see you have a complaint here.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The biggest drawback with the kit is if you have a sidewall blowout. They do not work! Recently we were looking for a new car and walked away from several cars that we liked as there was no option for a spare wheel. As we tow a caravan, the kit is no good.

IMHO these kits should be banned as they give the driver a false sense of security and more often than not drivers will exceed the recommended speed on a temporary repair and the new wheel will always be fitted tomorrow which never seems to come. Secondly there may be an unseen fault with the tyre when it is re-inflated leading to another puncture further down the road and then you are really stuck. Thirdly a long spike could have entered the tyre causing it to go flat, the tyre is re-inflated and driver continues on his way unaware that there si a large piece fo metal still in the tyre rubbing up against teh sidewall eventually causinga side wall blow out and a possibnle accident. forthloy the tyre is now unbalanced due to the goo in it and more wear occurs making ti necessary to repalce the tyre anyway.

Fifthly tyre dealers do not like repairing tyres with a load of goo in them as it also creates balancing problems so it is easier to charge for a new tyre and who can blame them?

This is all in the name of emissions due to the global warming myth!

I actually agree with you surfer, I too don't think they are an adequate replacement for a spare wheel but the issue here is whether the OP's friend has a complaint. The car is apparently already 'in stock' and has the kit rather than a spare. I'm not sure whether Jaguar offer an option of a spare on this model although I am looking into it and hopefully when I have time I will come back with some answers. As you will probably know, most options will need to be chosen when ordering the car prior to factory bulid but in this case the car is already at the dealers. The OPs friend has bought it for £4k below list price at it's current spec so i'm not sure he has legal grounds to complain about what it has or hasn't got. However, if the salesman had miss-lead the buyer in anyway, then that may be a different issue. In any event, the OP has no claim against Jaguar because the car isn't faulty. They are correct in saying it is down to the dealer to sort out this issue if it is an issue at all.

Please Note

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please Note

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Agreed adnt eh only way forward is fo them to buy a steeel wheel, but they may be able to pick up a second hand one however not sure if the boot underfloor configuration will allow a space saver wheel. That is anopther gripe of mine. Space savers! They tend to be more expensive than a normal spare tyre. A friend of ours was unlucky enough to have a spacesaver one whe n he picked upa second puncture. That is when he found out that they do not repair tyres on space saver wheels.

What is totally amazing is that they sell some 4 x 4s with space savers or the repair kit! How daft is that?

thanks for all your replys and i feel the same about the kit. there is a space for the tyre if supplied but this was not mentioned by the car dealer...that is the only part i see i can help d to go back to the dealer...although our last visit together the salesmand was not very helpful...

thanks for all your replys and i feel the same about the kit. there is a space for the tyre if supplied but this was not mentioned by the car dealer...that is the only part i see i can help d to go back to the dealer...although our last visit together the salesmand was not very helpful...

As I have said before, I'm not sure what you are expecting the dealer to do here. Legally, he has supplied a car which your friend has agreed to purchase. Look at it from the salesman's point of view, how many times would you imagine that when buying a new car, the subject of the spare wheel gets raised? In this case, the car is past the point where the buyer can expect specific options and equipment to be present or not present. You only get the benefit of having the car as you totally want it if you place a original order i.e. at the pre-bulid stage. By buying a car which is in stock, you can only expect it to have what 'factory fitted' equipment it has although it may be possible to have options which can be supplied and fitted by the dealer. The fact that your friend has had a £4k discount off the list price reflects this.

When I have time, I will do a little bit more digging to see if I can suggest a way forward but I cannot see any legal route here so you may have to rely on the dealer's goodwill.

Please Note

Please Note

I used to have an X-Type Jag that was suplied with a space saver. Only drove on it once and hated how unstable it felt!

Fortunately the wheel well in the boot was deep enough for a full size wheel so I went to Halfords and bought a complete single alloy wheel and tyre with a similar spoke pattern to the original for about £160 (compared to the £350 or so for a wheel without tyre from Jaguar). As I only used it for short periods if I got a puncture while I had it fixed, I wasn't bothered that that spoke pattern wasn't a proper match and looked no worse (far better in fact) than needing to put the steel space saver on.

I've got a BMW now fitted with run flats, so don't have to bother with any changing of wheels anymore. :)

I have now had an opportunity to look further into this and it appears that Jaguars (as with most other manufactuers) now offer a spare wheel as an optional extra. The repair kit is standard equipment. Apparently the reasons behind this are to save production costs and weight. As I have already pointed out, IMHO the kit option does not cover the same eventualities as a spare wheel. For example; a blow out ect.

As far as this particular cas is concerned, the buyer has no legal re-course as he purchased the car which was already built thus passing the stage of choosing what options or spec it had. My only suggestion is to approach the dealer and see if they are prepared to provide you with a spare wheel in exchange for the kit as an act of goodwill and because the salesman hadn't fully explained the car's equipment.

Please Note

Please Note