Is my debt enforceable after 7 years?

Pokgam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Im a new member so if this question has been asked before, I don't know where to find the answer.

7 years ago I was touted by a 'phone company to purchase a contract 'phone deal whic turned out to be Orange.

I believe the contract was misrepresented to me so when they set debt collecters onto me I told them this

and challenged them to take me to court whic they didn't and eventually left me alone

although I was ridiculously harrassed for months. It was for £581.00.

Anyway I continued to live at the same address for 4 more years and heard nothing from them.

The 'phone got lost. I moved out in 2007 and moved into another property for almost 3 more years and then to my current address a year ao.

I also became permanently disabled a year after the contract was originally taken out, t

he dispute happening with the 1st ever bill.

I had had to stop working and have been on DLA and IS for years now and any debt I'd incurred elsewhere I pay via a DMP with CCCS, but its not much.

Suddenly, a few weeks ago I recieved a mysterious letter trying to establish if I was who I am as a company, (they didnt say who) was after monies I owed.

I rung the debt agency, who were very furtive and unless I gave them my DOB, which I refused to (I did not know who they were), they wouldnt tell me who their client was.

I emailed them to say I considered the matter closed then.

Today I recieved another letter saying it was Orange and that they believed I owed them this money and wanted to sort it aimacably but if I didnt they would give me to the 22nd Nov 10, with a vieled but no specific threat of what action they would take.

What is my legal position on this please?

Edited by dx100uk
clarity

Hi and welcome to CAG

If no payment nor acknowledgement of any debt owing is made in a period of 6 years (5 years in Scotland) then the debt is Statute Barred by virtue of the Limitations Act 1980.

In other words, tell em it's SB and to politely bog off:whoo:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Bazooka Boo, thanks for your reply but I didnt exactly know what you meant. Did you mean that the company (Orange) was 'sucking lemons' as in 'sour grapes' (pardon the puns) cos they knew they were chasing rainbows to try and get me to pay back, eg NOT A CHANCE??

no he means the dca got a lemon

phishing trip

ignore them totally

or send the sb letter

pers i'd ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

keep us informed

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...