Help please. Local Council chasing me for my dead Mum's rent arrears!!! :(

Confyoozed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was stunned to receive a rather distressing letter a few months ago from the Housing Dept at Croydon Council(my Mum was a council tenant and had mental health issues). Apparantly she left her rent account in arrears to the tune of £2,500. She had been living a reclusive life and had no contact with family, friends or anyone for many years and had simply 'opted out' of life in general. She died in January of this year, in poverty and now the Housing people are saying I have '7 days to get in touch with them' regarding her debt!!!! She had a few hundred pounds left in her bank account but nothing like that amount.

Anyway, does anyone out there have any advice for me on how to handle this? I recently had a stroke and really do not feel up to a fight at the moment. Am I legally responsible for her debt? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Yes it will all depend on whether or not you were 'joint' tenants or not, and even if you have taken over the tenancy this does not mean you are liable for aany previous rent arrears.

Sorry to hear of your stroke, I attend 'Headway' each week due to my brain injury and their are lots of people who attend their after having a stroke, however, back to topic, if this gets too much for you, pass it on to your local MP to deal with you can find out who it is here:http://www.croydon.gov.uk/aboutyourarea/?WT.svl=fyc

And if the council still plays up, seek the advice and help of the LGO here:http://www.lgo.org.uk/

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for your replies. I lived apart from my mum for many years and have my own family/mortgage etc; so have no ties to her past life really.

Not sure why the council are after me for the arrears :(

Thanks, Bazooka, for that info. Never heard of Headway before. Might give it a look at :-)

As Alf says, you are under zero obligation to pay the penny pinching council, it's their tough luck they didn't do anything sooner!

Heres the link to Headway, you should be able to find a drop in centre near to yourself...http://www.headway.org.uk/home.aspx

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!