Need advice, chased by collectors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, newbie here and need some advice

Last year i contacted Payplan, gave them my debt, income/expenditure etc and was advised they couldnt help, but sent me an info pack and told me to make offer of payment to all my creditors. I did this and everyone accepted and i was paying regularly.

Recently moved and started was contacted about a debt that i even forgot i had, so sent another financial statement and offer of payment to everyone...but i've not heard anything back from a company called Lewis Recovery Group, until one of their door collectors left a card when i was at work. I called them last night to find out why when i had contacted them, and they said that my offer hadn't been accepted because my first payment was going to be too far in advance (4 weeks approx), but they didnt tell me this. Fair enough i've been working alot and have a few personal issues at the min and i forgot to chase them up about it, but they said they cant help and i need to come to an arrangement with the door step collector? I cant manage my DMP (?) on my own and admit i need help now.

I'm going to contact CCCS now, but need advice what to do about the collector that keeps coming round?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Sch

Welcome to CAG

The door step collector has no powers. If they want to contact you, they should only contact you by post. There are OFT Guidelines as to how they should conduct their business. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

Hi gnu

Basically you only need to be concerned if a CCJ has been issued against you; always read open your post and do read other threads.

I had a doorstepper from Resolvecall the other week and told him politely to Foxtrot Oscar or I would call the police.

Don't worry.

Good luck

vic

I would write to Lewis Recovery with a Prove It Letter. It sounds as though they're collecting the debt on behalf of somebody else in which case they need a DOA, and you should have had a letter from the OC formally assigning it to the DCA. If Lewis Recovery have bought the debt, then they should have no problem proving you own it. Until such stage as they provide proof, you have nothing to say to them.

In your prove it letter (can help you with this if you want) state ALL further communication must be in writing. Doorstep collectors have no powers. Without court orders bailiffs have very limited powers and can usually be got rid of. Keep everything in writing and do not speak to any doorstep collector. I wouldn't advise talking to them on the phone either, get a paper trail of proof.

First things first though,make sure they can legally collect this debt with the prove it letter

Well Payplan phoned me back today and said they couldnt help, my surplus income £102 is not enough and they recommended bankruptcy. I was on the CCCS website yesterday and it says i am eligible for DMP and they were going to e-mail me in the 24 next hours telling me what i had to do, but nothing so far. Guess that means they cant help either :(

Well Payplan phoned me back today and said they couldnt help, my surplus income £102 is not enough and they recommended bankruptcy. I was on the CCCS website yesterday and it says i am eligible for DMP and they were going to e-mail me in the 24 next hours telling me what i had to do, but nothing so far. Guess that means they cant help either :(

I'd still do what I advised a couple of posts ago. Three years ago we went to CAB and they advised bankruptcy. They also advised us to stop paying everything bar priority debts and wait to be made bankrupt. Three years later having asked loads of DCA's to make us bankrupt not one has. Most haven't a clue what to say when you ask them to do it. We have accepted the fact that it may happen and have taken precautions - we sold our house to a good Housing Association under their Mortgage Rescue scheme which means we keep "our" house without having to pay any maintenance and a fraction of the private market rental value. We can also pass it on for one generation so our daughter is safe should she want to live here. Bankruptcy is not the end of the world and can be the right thing for some people. Since we accepted it we've got increasingly cheeky in asking people to write off debts and our credit file is almost beginning to look respectable again. We are still facing severe financial hardship for genuine reasons, but the hard bit was facing being made bankrupt. Once you get your head round that, you're actually very empowered in an unusual way as not many companies will pay their own money when they can see they're not going to get one penny back.

Don't worry about the doorstep caller. If you really want to get rid of him, go to the library and personalise the letter for getting rid of doorstep collectors. If the DCA writes to you, a good rule of thumb is ignore their first correspondence then send a prove it letter.

Cheers Tingy. Only thing with bankruptcy that really does scare me is that i get this picture in my head where i declare myself, loose the car which i need to get to work and if/when i move, because i rent, no letting agents will accept me. Its getting to the point where im taking it out on other people because im so scared of whats gonna happen and its starting to effect my work and relationship with friends. I really dont know what to do and where to turn.

Cheers Tingy. Only thing with bankruptcy that really does scare me is that i get this picture in my head where i declare myself, loose the car which i need to get to work and if/when i move, because i rent, no letting agents will accept me. Its getting to the point where im taking it out on other people because im so scared of whats gonna happen and its starting to effect my work and relationship with friends. I really dont know what to do and where to turn.

You don't declare yourself bankrupt - you wait for them to do it. That way they pay for it for you (nice of them) so you can have a fresh start. The other important hing here is that you are not then voluntarily making yourself homeless so the council will have to give you somewhere to live. HOWEVER, having said all that two things: Firstly are you clear in your hed what are your priority debts (things that must be paid) and what aren't? If at all unsure just say so. Nobody will judge you, we're all here to help each other! Secondly, and please don't take this the wrong way, but having been in your situation and hearing what you're saying, it might just be worth popping down to your GP and sharing what's happening. You amy find various sources of help there.

Keep posting and keep letting us know how you're feeling / thinking. We are ALL very keen to help, and will do all we can. I do know that you need to try to accept the situation more than you are at the moment - for waht it's worth my IE sheet shows an overspend each month of £336 but I'm more relaxed now than I've been in years concerning my debts.

pm coming your way mate!

Hey guys and thanks for replying. I got home from work yesterday to find an e-mail from the CCCS, attaching forms i need to fill in so they can set up a DMP for me. I wasn't quite as relived as i thought i would be, but i think this is only the beginning of a very long road ahead. I have noticed that today ive not been anywhere near as worried about things, and would like to thank you guys as well for making me feel welcome.

I do have a question though ... In the forms CCCS have sent, they want a statement from each creditor to confirm my debt. Do they have to give me this if i ring them? ta!