Priority Debt Arrears - cannot afford to pay what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya

my 59 year old uncle is a home owner but lost his job 2 years ago and to date cannot find work and is in receipt of JSA

he has 3 non priority debts that we are "dealing" with however he has also accrued arrears with his water rates and property service charge.

We have looked at looked at his income / expendiature and made cutbacks where we can see but even without the arrears his income does not come close to covering priority debts.

Apart from jsa he gets full council tax benefit, but is not entitled to any other benefits - obviously the situation needs addressing but what actually can he do?

thanks to anyone who can help x

Hi,

Dependant on where he lives you could check to see if the water company has a trust fund for people in his situation. Not only do they help with water rates but they can also take on other utility debts

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

thank you silverfox will look into it, are there any guides on here to submitting a successful grant application??x

Not a one but if you check out "water rates trust funds" you will get some advice from other websites and have a good look around your own water company's site to see if they have one. You may have to search deeply as they don't always advertise their service

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

hiya

my 59 year old uncle is a home owner but lost his job 2 years ago and to date cannot find work and is in receipt of JSA

he has 3 non priority debts that we are "dealing" with however he has also accrued arrears with his water rates and property service charge.

We have looked at looked at his income / expendiature and made cutbacks where we can see but even without the arrears his income does not come close to covering priority debts.

Apart from jsa he gets full council tax benefit, but is not entitled to any other benefits - obviously the situation needs addressing but what actually can he do?

thanks to anyone who can help x

It's hard to help without appearing nosy, so apologies but I'm going to be nosy!

You state in your post you're dealing with several non-priority debts. If your uncle is getting behind with priority debts you should pay these FIRST before you even consider giving a penny to no-priority debts. How much money in arrears are we talking about it? Could you post up his IE Sheet REMOVING ANY PERSONAL DETAILS FIRST. That way we can get a better picture of exactly where you are and can then offer proper advice. Ceertainly you should be addressing the priority debts before even considering the non-priority ones. I have template letters if you can't find any on here that you could send to these non-priority debts in the meantime to keep up good communication with them while trying to get your uncle some breathing space. If you want any further help, just ask away!