style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am 24 years old, a student, with a 3 month-old baby boy.

On Tuesday 16th November 2010, I received a notice from a bailiff stating that I had to pay £576.53 due to not paying a penalty parking fine.

I was not in the house at the time.

When i first received the fine in 2009, I was not working and rang Southwark Council to see if I could pay them in instalments as this would be the easier

option for me because I did not want the fine to increase. They told me this was not possible.

In September 2009, I then returned to university and subsequently forgot all about this.

Since receiving the letter I rang Southwark Council Parking shop to explain my situation, of which they were no help. The man told me that Southwark Council has nothing to do with the matter anymore and that it had been taken to court, which I explained that I did not receive any notice about this.

This afternoon, I called the bailiff who attended my house, and explained that I am currently on income support, and cannot afford to pay £576.53. I asked if we could come to some sort of arrangement to pay off the debt. She was unwilling to let me discuss a payment arrangement and subsequently told me that if I could not pay then bailiffs would be visiting my parents house on Thursday 18th of November to assess goods and take them away. The car in question has been surrendered to Car Giant, as my boyfriend could not keep up the car payments.

The letter also states that if the bailiff has to attend again then the total minimum will be £746.91

I am not disputing that I did not park the car in an area without paying for a ticket; but the amount i have to pay, almost £600. I cannot afford this.

Both my mother and my younger sister has Systemic Lupus Erythemaosus, which includes arthritis and other medical problems; and I am afraid that they will not be able to prevent bailiffs from entering the property. I am now scared to leave the house, or open the door in case this happens.

I do not live a lavish lifestyle, i do not own anything of a high value. The majority of money that I receive in benefits goes on clothes for my son, formula milk and household keep for my mothe for food bills, etc.

I do not know what to do next, I feel that this is another form of pressure that I do not need. I have being trying to call Citizens Advice Bureau but the line has been busy all afternoon.

I have emailed my local MP Harriet Harman for advice, as well as Lord Lucas who has an interest in bailiff and their powers.

But what else can I do??

The original fine was for approximately £60 then went up to £120. BUT how can it go up to nearly £600 when i have no memory of receiving bailiff letters about this fine???

Ive tried asking the bailiff to negotiate payments but they dont care!

I feel like im losing my mind! Stayed in the whole day, just to do some research on bailiff powers. Some comments on here have been extremely helpful and have calmed me down abit! But im still at a loose end!

Please could you advise me as to what my rights and how I can resolve this situation.

I have sent a copy of this letter to Harriet Harman who is my local MP.

HELP?? Any Suggestions Welcome.

Thank You

img015.pdf

For a start this document put through your door as a legal document is worse than useless,a certificated bailiff has no right of entry other than by peacefull means,they can enter through an open or unlocked door or window but have no right to enter by force it is illegal full stop.Secondly bailiffs rely on firstly people not knowing that their powers are limited,and thus use scare tactics,abuse,threats you name it to get you to run around borrowing money of familly and freinds because you have been led to believe that these scumbags can enter your home and take what they like,they cannot.Thirdly this notice with big red writing on it it designed to look legal and threatening,it has the desired effect of putting the fear of god into people when all its fit for is toilet paper.Keep all your doors and windows closed and to be honest if you dont communicate with the bailiff theres nothing he can do,as for the parking fine,pay the origional 60 pound and leave it that.

I am going to flag this up with tomtubby, she will tell you what to do. If this is the first time you know of any warrants then you may be able to get it back to the court stage in getting an out of time state dec, tomtubby will know more about this. In the meantime your household is classed as vulnerable under the national standards or enforcement agents and you must inform the councils parking services of this and the bailiffs involved, do not do this over the phone as you will be sent through to some numpty who has no idea what you are talking about. The council are responsible to have this debt taken back from the bailiffs due to your circumstances.

http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm#part10

It also looks like the bailiff is trying to fleece you big time. Dont answer the door to them at all, do not contact them via phone, keep all correspondence in writing ie email and snail mail.

Sit tight and I hope TT or some one who can further assist on this matter will be here shortly with what you should do and how you should do it.

Thank You, feeling much better but still apprehensive.

I did ring the Council's parking shop yesterday to see if I could arrange payment and the man told me that it was not their problem anymore.

I want to pay the £60 or £120...but these people want the amount almost to £600.

Craziness!

I want you to email the parking services outlining your circumstances, if they still refuse to take back the debt then you need to make a formal complaint based on the fact that your household is vulnerable and the stress of a bailiff visit will exasperate the condition of your mother and sister. Point out to them the vulnerable clause that I sent you a link to. This may stop any more bailiff intervention or at least put it on hold until further help comes along.

so sorry to sub but i have been getting letters from phillips saying they are coming to remove goods on a debt that is eighteen years old.....have no clue who sold them this debt but where do i stand

Please dont take this the wrong way marie but it would be very helpful if you could start your own thread on this matter it saves confusion, if you start a thread of your own I can get on to it and answer as best as I can :)