Jump to content

Landlord not fixed water-damaged bathroom floor for 3 months - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi there, I'll try and keep this short and sweet.

Bathroom had a few cracks in floor when we first moved in, after 5 months it got so bad the tiles and grout are cracking off the floor, almost no grout left between the tiles. We reported it nearly 3 months ago but still it is not fixed. We have a 3 month old son and walking on the bathroom floor is not safe, and it's damp, smelly and mouldy. Someone came to assess it after about 2 weeks but we are now told (when we chase it up and can actually get in touch with someone with half a brain!) that the landlord refuses to pay for it, as it was fixed about a year before we moved in for the same thing, and that the insurance company who originally fixed it should pay. So the argument lies between the landlord and his insurer as to who should pay, and this has been going on 3 months, but still our bathroom is getting worse and wetter and smellier and damper!

What rights do I have and is there anytihng I can say or do to get it done quicker? We continue to pay full rent and I am not happy! Can we request a temporary reduction in the rent or something?

ANY advice welcome, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi NicoleElize


First thing you shouldn't do is withhold rent, without agreement from the LL. Plus you should not get the repair done without an agreement from LL for costs being deducted from rent.


If you have asked on many occasions to get it fixed, have you got evidence of this? Did you send a letter (via recorded delivery) or has LL written to you? Or has it all been through verbal communication? If so - write a letter now asking for the repairs to be done within 3 days and mention all the conversations had to date. Add the dates of conversations.


Then if no luck, go to the council as they will inspect the damage and then sort the repairs out for you if they agree with you that it is a danger physically and to health. They will then bill the LL.


Have a go!


Confused mum

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...