Pre 1998 Student loan..default registered on credit file. How do i remove it?

GolfCaddie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello CAG, some advise would be well appreciated.

I have 3 pre 1998 student loans that I have always defered due to never meeting the re-payment criteria.

Anyway, due to moving around and a mix up, my student loans are now not defered and I am been chased for the balance of the loan by debt company. My student loan was last acknowledged in February 2009, so it is definatly not statute barred. I havent made an offer of payment or been in written contact since my deferment back in Feb 2009

Anyway today I checked my experian credit file and a default by the student loan company has been registered on the 1 Nov 2010...there doesnt seem to be any judgments issued against me (im in scotland).

I have a copy of my loan agreements from a few years back, they are clearly photocopies from a microfiche, very poor quality. But on the terms and condition there is no provision for the reporting of a default of the loan to a credit refrence agency. So how do I go about getting the default removed from my credit file, ...who is best to contact over this and what sort or law can i quote to best ensure that the default is removed...

GC

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I have a similar problem with student loans.

Here are some snippits from my creditexpert:

1st default

Company name:LINK FINANCIAL (STUDENT LOANS)

Started:21/04/1999

Default Balance:£4,102

Current Balance:£2,893

Defaulted On:14/12/2005

File Updated for the Period to:07/11/2010

2nd default:

Company name:THE STUDENT LOANS COMPANY LTD

Account type:Student Loan

Default Balance:£4,101

Current Balance:£1,805

Monthly Payment: £44

Defaulted On:14/12/2005File Updated for the Period to:07/11/2010

I can't remember when I last made them a payment, and I have spent some time living abroad so I never deferred them. I don't think I have made any payments to student loans after 14/12/2005

Its very important to me I get rid of the default notices as soon as possilbe.

The defaults are lodged at my previous address, not my current address. I know they will dissapear at the end of next year, but I need them gone before then.

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of defaults from student loans?

Why do you think I have a default from student loans, and a default from Link Financial?

They haven't started writing to me at my current address, so I am faced with the decision to wait a year till the defaults have gone, OR write to them and divulge my new address, and risk them starting action against me.

I think I have 2 student loans.

That default has really messed me up.

I have a particular disliking for people that borrow money from their friends and family to give to a debt collector. If someone you know has asked you for money to pay off old debts DON’T give them it, it won’t help you and it definitely won’t help them, it will just tighten the debt noose round their necks.

What sort of IDIOT would swap a debt that probably never needs to be paid back, for a debt that definitely needs to be paid back? Don’t rob Peter to pay Paul, its PONZI.

• 4 weeks later...

does not have the part about disclosing details to third parties at all?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Golfcaddie, are you sure all your loans were definitely deferred? And I take it, when there was a mix up and you weren't deferred, you accrued arrears? Did you still have arrears on your account recently? I'm thinking that if you weren't making any payments towards your arrears that they might have had the right to report you to Experian. Call or email them and ask what was on your account, ie, did you have some kind of payment plan in place for paying off the arrears or something, see if there was something that justifies them taking that action.