• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

great universal & sales of goods act.help needed.

nightsurf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my partner chose a playstation 3 package deal from great universal on line,the description of the package deal was,160gb playstation3 inc call of duty black ops, medal of honour,a dual shock controller, blue tooth headset,and a hdmi lead. these itmes were pictured...however reading through the description and features of the console,,it stated,,,get your games off to a superb start with,,,modern warefare 2,,call of duty black ops,and medal of honour,,it then carried on about the functions of the playstation blue ray,dvd etc,,,in the key features of the playstation it said comes with fifa 10 and kill zone2.. so my partner assumed as it was written in the descritipn of the product advertised that including what was pictured and the other items,,, modern warfare2 and fifa 10 and killzone 2 would be included,, in the package,, so she ordered the console and expecting all the items listed would be included in the delivery when it arrived,,however modern warfare2 fifa 10 and kill zone 2 werent in the delivery,, she contacted great universal and was told that the package was only for what was pictured as decribed above,,, she pointed wht the decscrition read but was told that those other items are not part of the deal,, :|,she has made a complaint to great universal and has more or less been told that only the pictured itmes are in the package and that the others in the descrition are an error,,:!:.she pointed out the trade descrpitions act to them but has been told to make a complaint in writting..are we perfectly right to argue that what is written in the descrition, we were entitled to recive or can they say that it was an error ,and say as they are saying that we have had all the itmes and wont be sending us the rest..:|

Guest Old_andrew2018

you should have IMHO the items as described, the company might offer a refund, and ask for return of the goods

we dont mind having the goods,, which we have brought on bnpl,but we will pay that off before the due date,but its the princiaple of them not sending us all the itmes that were described,my partner recived an e/mail from great universal today ,and they said that, its an error and they made a mistaske, as this some times occurs in descriptions and pricing,,as a consumer thats not down to our fault, its thier own, and what you purchase should be as described,,if you take a look at greatuniversal.com and type in the search box,, the item reference pz5420,, youll see what i mean,, my question is now what should be my next approach ,would i be better off contacting trading standards,or again send another complaint e/mail to great universal.and going through thier complaints procedure.

many thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018

I looked at their site, you are correct they suggest that all these games are available in the package, you could give them an opportunity to deal with the complaint via a letter or email.

If you contact them by telephone dont waste money by using the 0844 number, find an alternative number using this link http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php and ask for great universal customer service .

Also if you have not done this already take a copy of the web page for future reference, I would inform your local trading standards by either a personal visit or a telephone call.

Andy

many thanks andy.

i have sent an e/mail on thier complaints section. and will await a reply,as i have sent previous messages telling them about my complaint and them just telling us it was an error

should i be a bit more assertive and mention that my next course of action will be trading standards,up to and including, watchdog,this might make them give us a more posative response,, all we want is what was in the description of the package as advertised.why put this in the description and not adhere to what they state..

Guest Old_andrew2018

I noticed that Great Universal have not amended their site, have you been able to make a copy of the web page for future reference, I would gather the evidence, then involve both watchdog and trading standards without informing great universal.

I wonder how many individuals have purchased this package, and not felt able to take on the company.

Andy

hya andy

your right in what you say,the e/mail to customer complaints that we sent,has been replied to again they say its an error ,but doest even offer a compromise even as a gesture of good faith.

they have assured us that they have amended the website. the reference is now pz54216,i have just looked to see if they have amended the page and low and behold its still the same,lol,would you credit it,so a reply will be sent ,i,m not letting this go, as i bet there are some that will say oh well,forget it,,my partner was getting round to that thought and said to me,, you wont get any where ,they will walk all over you any way,, so thats got me more determined now,, and i have tried 4 e/mails of complaint, so i have given them the chance to deal with this, if i didnt pay for the item they would be all over us like a rash.so trading standards and watchdog will be the next approach now,i have printed both page references,and kept copies of e/mails sent and replied to..my partner seems to think i wasnt assertive enough in my e/mails that were sent, and said you need some one that knows how to word complaints so that they take notice..i think she was right as i sent the complaints as more of a general enquiry looking at it.as i,m not to great in the wording of complaints,,any suggestions would be appreciated..many thanks again andy.

hya andy

just a quick update,contacted trading standards,and they have put us in touch with consumer direct,who have told us to write to them giving them 14 days to rectify the matter

and quote sales of goods act 1979.we are to call back when we have recived a reply from great universal,the man we spoke to brought up the page and agreed they were breaching the sales of goods act.so ill be sending a letter to them tonight,would it be best to send it by recorded delivey?as proof of postage.thanks again andy ill keep you updated as to how we get on.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Yes I would suggest that you send it (signed for) recorded, I keep going on about copying the web page it may be of use to you later.

Andy

• 1 month later...

My playstation 3 packed up (Green light of death) after three years so \I wrote to the place were I bought it quoting the sale of goods act (as ammended and asked for a refund because I said this 60 gig version had an inbuilt desgin flaw which they admitted in the letters to me. They first offered a repair which I turned down then they offered 180. because I had used it for a number of years. I turned them down and threatend court action in a letter and they made a counter offer of 250 plus the cost of the game that was stuck inside. I got 280. The claim on this is against the retailer that sold the item and not Sony which I personally think is wrong because I think this product was defective in the manufacturing process and when microsoft had the problem (red light of death) they recalled all theirs. Anyway if anything goes wrong you can have up to 6 years in England in which to persue a claim through the small claims court against the place were you bought it. This period covers a reasonable time (that said product should work for). Obviously it varies on the product if you bought an ice cream for example it is not reasonable that said product would last for 6 years but for an expensive electrical product this 6 years is a reasonable time.

I bought a new slim, design playstation move (happy days)

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

appologies for the delay in getting back to you about the above,with great universal,,i posted the original complaint by recorded delivery ,how ever royal mail failed to deliver my letter of complaint,confirmed by them over the telephone,so i had to re send the letter,,how ever the time limit of 14 days in which they were given to reply to my compliant expired ,3 days ago and to date they havent even had the decency to respond,,i have been trying to find the customer services manager of great universal to re direct my complaint to them and ask why they didnt have the decency to respond.. or there is the option of county court action..however i will fire off another letter again tomorrow this time ,i will give them a further 7 days to respond.then go down the court action route..well done 1lawyer getting your playstation sorted out,i will certainly remeber that for future reference.kind regards.

They should give you a refund if the goods are not as described (if that is what you want)

Catolougue companies can be a pain to deal with but keep up with it . If you do have to make a claim it looks bad on them that they never responded to you if it does go to court.

Ask them for their address for service in the next letter and see what happens.

I must afmit it is a bit easier for me when complaining about a service not being right but everyone should be afforded the same effort in reality because of forums like this one making us more aware as consumers. Good luck...

Hi nightsurf,

I was actually just browsing the web looking for something else and came across this post. This sort of complete disregard for the law and for the customers' rights really gets my goat so I decided to register and offer my advice based on a lot of experience dealing with this sort of thing. I have NO qualms about taking on ANYBODY (and have won every time) - if they are in the wrong, they are in the wrong. The law is the law, no matter what 'policies' or 'procedures' or opinions companies may have. They have to obey the law no matter who they are.

So, the important thing to do when making a complaint is firstly to put it in writing, which you have done. Within that letter, you need to state what the problem is, what you want done about it and then the key point - give them an ultimatum, stick to it and follow up on it. So, for e.g., if you wanted a full refund for, say, a faulty item by a given date, that is what you need to state. If, upon reaching that date the matter isn't resolved and your decided course of action is then to take certain legal action, then do it. It would be pointless to pussy-foot around and start arguing the toss with them again. They've had the opportunity to resolve it, if they ignore their obligations in this area then hard luck. Let whichever legal departments handle it. So, in your case, if you have not yet issued an ultimatum with a cut-off date and a statement of your follow-up course of action then I would suggest that you do that. Otherwise just don't bother wasting your time trying to reason and discuss with them or ask them why they haven't responded, etc. They've had more than enough opportunity to sort it and they clearly, up to now, have no intention of doing so.

One thing that I think you will find very useful in this case is contacting the Direct Marketing Association. I don't know whether or not GUS have the DMA stamp, but if they have then the DMA will take a very, very dim view of their actions and, in my experience, will usually follow up on this sort of complaint very swiftly, definitely and harshly! Oh and I also find that threatening to take the issue to the national press works wonders ;-) But again, whatever you tell them you will do if they fail to comply, do it.

I hope that helps! :-)

i have found the name of the customer manager for great universal, emma thorpe,and have sent her a recorded delivery letter and a copy of the original one i sent

previously,i have asked for the address for service in the letter,,if this fails to get thier attention and or no response then its off to the county court,seems the only way,

now they have been given yet another chance to look in to my complaint,ill keep you posted, as i will need advice on how to approach when i come to dealing with applying through the courts,once again thanks to all of you for your advice.

To be honest, I don't see any need to make things any more complicated and stressful than they already are by taking court action off your own back. Just send all the relevant info (ie details of your complaint, evidence to support your complaint and copies of what you have already sent to GUS and their responses) to both Consumer Direct and the Direct Marketing Association. They should hold enough clout to make heads roll at GUS without you needing to really lift a finger other than to give them the relevant info and let them act on your behalf. It could be that they then advise you to take it to Small Claims Court but I would be very surprised if that becomes necessary, I have never ever had to do this. Trading Standards, the DMA or Consumer Direct have always handled things for me (except for when my own liasing has been sufficient :wink:). Basically they will tell GUS to stop being naughty and to get their act together or else! Make use of them, that's what they're there for :-)

• 5 weeks later...

great universal have finally sent us a letter regaarding our complaint,and have passed this to thier customer excellence department,shop direct for them to deal with

we reccieved a letter from them saying that they will look in to our complaint and will contact us again shortly,,this was on the 7th feb,and still we have heard nothing,,seems they like to drag thier heels doesnt it,we contacted consumer direct about this and all they said was to take it to the small claims court, howwever this could be a costly thing to do,and would they even bother to respond to this or even attend the court,,so back to square one,,suprised at consumer direct not getting involved as i thought that they would do,re breach of the sale of goods act,,iam not letting it go and just forget about it ,after all if i didnt pay them for the goods they would soon be sending me letters and threat o grams.should i go back to consumer direct and see if they cant put on pressure on them or do i go down the small claims route .thanks for your support in the past8-)

• 2 weeks later...

:lol::lol:thanks to every one for thier help regarding the above post,,i sent a final letter before action toshop direct and was suprised by the amount of telephone calls i recieved from them,3 calls in 2 days ,the last call was to say that they had looked in to our complaint and admited what we were complaining to them about was true

and will send us the missing games in due course..result..thanks again to every one for their help..