Citi to Opus - What A Rip Off!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3655 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

letter recently from citi telling me it was changing to ccam /opus.

account in dispute with citi due to reconstructed t&c's sent in response to cca request.

am i correct in thinking that they shouldn't 'transfer' (sell) to opus when in dispute, although they will probably go ahead with it anyway?

is there any other way i can stop this transfer other than say i dont accept, which they would no doubt interpret as termination by me?

i'm sure there will be others in a similar position and would appreciate thoughts / comments.

cheers

SH

letter recently from citi telling me it was changing to ccam /opus.

account in dispute with citi due to reconstructed t&c's sent in response to cca request.

am i correct in thinking that they shouldn't 'transfer' (sell) to opus when in dispute, although they will probably go ahead with it anyway?

is there any other way i can stop this transfer other than say i dont accept, which they would no doubt interpret as termination by me?

i'm sure there will be others in a similar position and would appreciate thoughts / comments.

cheers

SH

A reconstruction response to a s78 request is allowed under carey vs HSBC but it must be correct and have your original name and address on it at the time you took out the credit. If they have not supplied documents referred to in the reconstructed agreement then yes the s78 is still outstanding.

If its the case the not responding to a s78 request means the debt is currently unenforceable which basically means they cant get a judgement against you, however thanks to McGuffick vs RBS they can mark your credit file/sell the debt/chase you for the debt/take you to court but not obtain judgement and increase the debt with interest.

S.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

thanks shadow,

it would appear then that even if i were to terminate, they would still just transfer the rights to recover any balance to ccam / opus, in which case i'm better leaving well alone for time being and let it run its course, would you agree?

cheers

SH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am posting to this thread as it clearly indicates issues of sale from Citi cards to Opus. The first I knew of this activity was when I received an e-mail from Opus stating I had missed a payment. Infact I have made a current payment to Citi.

I took out a Citi Shell card some 4 yrs ago as a discount was paid on Shell Petrol purchases, at the time I believe around 3p per gallon expressed as a percentage of purchase. Some two years ago Citi reneged on this arrangement and wrote to me stating they were cancelling my card. Shortly before this time I paid a creditor £500 as a deposit for goods worth £3,000 in the following month I was astonished to discover that the merchant had without my authority debited the account again for a further £500. I wrote to Citi cards and complained that the £500 was taken without my authority and that they should recall the payment. Citi wrote back to say there was nothing they could do about it. I then decided as the Card Account was in dispute that I would use the card no longer as it was due to be cancelled in any event and under the terms of my agreement pay off the debt over time.

I am not quite certain of my ground here, but I think if the card is not used then certain regulations apply. In amongst those regulations I think the interest rate cannot be changed and the card cannot be sold on, with the debt remaining with the supplier at the time of cessation of use, untl settled.

I understand that Opus is a subsiduary of the Bank of Scotland, I have no wish to become involved with another Bank as my main account is with Citi. At least they have'nt tried right of set off.

Could anyone please advise me how I should handle this situation?

With many thanks Carningli

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carningli,

I wrote to citi and told them that i didn't accept the new t&c's as the account had been closed some time ago (due to ridiculous interest rate hikes) and as it was also in dispute (no properly executed agreement) they shouldn't transfer to another creditor. Still waiting on a reply, Dec statement was due this week so should be interesting to see who its from.

You might be better to start your own thread and hopefully one of the site team or other Caggers with similar experience may be able to give you some advice.

Good luck,

SH

Hi Sare Heid,

Any news on your account?

I'm in the same boat I had a life of balance transfer at 5.8% with Citi and back in May when they hiked interest rates I cancelled the account instead to freeze it at the original T&C's.

I tried to make the Nov payment to Citi as normal, by ringing up to pay by debit card and found they'd shut up shop. I tried ringing Opus as the recorded message instructed, but couldn't get to speak to a human being and it wouldn't recognise my old Citi account number. When I finally got the next statement from Opus, they'd added a default charge and the interest rate had edged up to 6%. Also I had miraculously acquired "available credit" on this closed account.

You mention that you didn't accept the new T&C's so are you saying you've actually received some? To date all they've sent me is a bill.

Hi Patma,

Still haven't heard anything from Citi or Opus since I last posted, had expected Dec statement a week or so ago but nothing yet.

I received what appeared to be a copy of a 'new' cc agreement (unsigned) between myself & Opus with letter from Citi notifiying me of transfer, which prompted me to reply telling them I didnt accept.

I've tried to access the account on-line and found this was blocked, so no way of telling yet what interest or charges are being added.

I'll post again when I hear from them.

HTH,

SH

Try phoning OPUS complaints department. Be pleasant their number is 01268 884160. Ask them about interest rate reduction, ask them also if they have copy of original CCA and if it is company policy to purchasa accounts which are in dispute.

Ask them how much is owed and how much they purchased your account for under freedom of information act. ask name of person you are talking to ( do this at start of phone call ) Note details and send them a letter confirming result of phone call.

You will be in same boat as myself then.

Not promising anything but at least it appears you can talk to OPUS

Ask them how much is owed and how much they purchased your account for under Freedom of information act ask name of person you are talking to ( do this at start of phone call ) Note details and send them a letter confirming result of phone call.

:!::!:

errrrr Freedom of information act only applies to public bodies.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_4003239

S.

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Hope you had a merry xmas & happy new year.

Have now received a letter from Opus regarding " your opus Credit Card" and December statement that I've never received. Also goes on to say that I've missed the last two payments (which is absolute b**ll*cks! since payments agreed previously with citi are all up to date!).

Appears that Citi have gone ahead and sold account whilst it was in dispute and regardless that I'd written back saying I didn't accept the new Opus t&c's.

I'm not quite sure where to go with this now, whether to write to Opus querying why they've purchased account while in dispute and requesting copy of CCA, DOA, etc, or simply inform them that account is in dispute and should be returned to OC?

Would it be worth referring to OFT / Trading Standards at this point?

Would be grateful for any helpful pointers.

Cheers

SH

• 2 weeks later...

Must be doing something wrong when posting as dont seem to be getting any feedback or responses!

Well, no matter, sent Opus the 'bemused' letter asking why they were trying to collect on a disputed accout, no response yet, so we'll just have to wait and see what sort of response it generates, if any.

Hi Sare Heid,

You are certainly not doing anything wrong. I think the problem is that their are relatively few Caggers involved with Citi and the thread is tuckedaway amongst "Other Institutions" rather than being in the main Banking forum. Keep asking the questions and someone will give an answe. I know it is very frustrating asking for information or confirmation and not receiving it. I am heading for court with HSBC and have received no response since before X-mas and have had to go it alone, picking up what I can from the site, which has been a great help, but can't replace the human guiding hand. However because I am also involved with Citi I will try and give a helping hand, in spite of my lack of what i consider to be detailed knowledge.

Carningli

Hi Sare Heid,

Having got my previous post of my chest, I will try and answer some of your questions.

Firstly I think we need to establish what has been sold to Opus (Bank of Scotland) it may be worth sending a Consumer Credit Application (CCA) to Opus to see what they hold on you cost £1. If you want full disclosure you can ask for SAR (Subject Access Request) cost £10. Once we know what has gone on between Citi and BOS, I think we can explore various strategies to meet our own individual requirements.

I know this is pretty simple stuff, but we have to start somewhere. I hope this post may attract other comment as we want to know quite what is happening.

You have done the right thing in writing to Opus, we will all want to know the gist of their response, if you receive one.

Carningli

Hi,

If you feel the account was in dispute then I suggest you write as you've already stated and tell Opus... however why was the account in dispute? if just because of non-compliance with a s78 request then its not recognised by the OFT as a real dispute and they are allowed to sell the account on.

If you had a payment agreement with citi that is now not being kept with opus then you need to formally complain so you can eventually go to the fos imo.

S.

Deal with your debts: