Jump to content

Fee on using a credit card to repay debt?


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Newman debt collection agency have written to me about my student loan, which I am in a position to pay off, however as I live abroad and no longer have a UK account I aim to pay this with my CC (it's not that much).


Newman state on the back of the letter there will be a charge using a CC, my question is can they apply a charge for using a CC or can I just tell them I'll pay the amount owed and no more.



Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not supposed to charge - I assume they mean they can charge if you pay in a currency other than £ sterling...


Report them for being obstructive in receiving payment.


Are you sure you actually owe the amount they are claiming?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that - Yes, I am sure, there's been a good bit of correspondance and I'd like to get rid of this final amount. I did think it was statute barred but as I wrote to them about irregularities on th account around this time last year it's not, as I understand it.


It's actually a UK CC I'd be using so the currency aspect isn't relevant, report them to who? I think I can just pay the SLC still anyway and from memory they just take what is owed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote to the SLC about the irregularities in November 2009, following a letter from them. It would have been 6 years since the last communication in February 2010, hence why I thought it was un-statute barred.

Edited by gatster
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO still SB - nothing to lose as you are prepared to pay, by the sending the SB letter and see what happens:



Every journey begins with a single step :):)


Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.


If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You


The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA


Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...