Tenants issues :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi im a newbie here and stumbled upon this website in desperate need of advice. I moved into a rented 2 bedroom flat along with a joint tenant in April 2010 and we vacated in October 2010. When it came to vacating the property we were under the impression the check out would be handled by the agent however it was infact handled by the landlord (they did not know this themselves)

On the day of moving out we arranged a meeting at the flat with the landlord, they were generally pleased with the state of the flat however we did express to them that there was 2 stains on the lounge carpet, we did have the carpet professionaly steam cleaned the week before. The landlord then presented us with our cheques for the repayment of the bond, so we were happy with this and left. However a couple of hours later i received a text message from the landlord asking me to urgently check my email account, when i did i had received an email from her stating that they were unhappy with the condition in which we had left the flat and therefore were cancelling the cheques. I emailed in a friendly and polite manner asking her what action she would like us to take ie recarpeting.

After a couple of days of anxious waiting she replied saying she would get a quote for the cost of having the carpet in the lounge steam cleaned and also the carpet in the small bedroom which she said she beleived we were trying to conceal from them at the check out appointment ( when infact the mark on the carpet in the bedroom is stated on the inventory from when we moved in) along with this they were adamant that we had been smoking in the flat and the sofa particularly smelt of smoke, however we are both non smokers and reasoned with her that a friend who had stayed on a few occasions had smoked out of the window. They told us they would cover the cost of getting the sofa cleaned themselves..

After quoting the cost of carpet cleaning at 120 we gave the go ahead for her to deduct this from our bond and were told the cheques would be sent within the week, after 2 weeks of waiting i had the reply of "sorry i thought my partner had sent them and he thought i had, we will send them this week".

So moving onto the present situation i have just received an email from the LL saying that as they had not had chance to revisit the property until 12/10/10 they were unaware of the condition of it after cleaning etc he also expressed that once the smell of our 'cleaning products' dissapeared the smell of smoke was apparent again, obviously we had intensely cleaned the flat before we vacated hence the 'smell of cleaning products!'

The LL is now saying they will keep the whole of the bond (600) for COMPLETE RE- DECORATION including new carpets and curtains ( there is only 1 set in the larger bedroom)

I replied with our argument and also informed him we would be seeking legal advice within the week to which he replied along the lines of 'ok'

After reading into the matter i have enquired whether our bond was covered under a deposit protection scheme to which he has so far avoided the question, i have however checked with the DPS and can find no recognition of our bond being kept with them.

Our main arguments are:

at checkout our bond was given back then revoked (we assumed they were satisfied with the propertys condition, bearing in mind it is not a new property and there was already substantial wear and tear before we moved in)

the LL has contacted us via email and text very infrequently and accused us of concealing the truth

after being informed numerous times the cheques would be sent in the post i cancelled our home and contents insurance for the property therefore meaning any repairs they expect us to pay for now we will not be able to claim for

and finally we had the carpets professionaly cleaned before we moved out and we provided the LL with a receipt for this, yet they had the carpets cleaned again at our expense! and when unsatissfied with the results ask us for a new carpet.

Basically i need some advice for what to do next? the current situation is i am awaiting a reply from the LL detailing whether our bond is protected.

If anybody could help, it would be greatly appreciated!