Good Solicitor For Fighting Legality of Egg CCA?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a (delinquent) Egg account from 2005, currently in dispute.

I have sent the S78 request and am awaiting a copy of the agreement, plus the statements giving rise to the amount they claim is oweing (all 177 pages of them).

Before settling with them, it's a large amount they want, I am considering a punt on questioning the validity of the CCA. Given the highly technical nature of it, and the need to get it absolutely right, I'd much rather engage the services of somebody who does these things for a living and who has a track record of success.

Does anybody know, or can recommend, a solicitor or similar who does these things and does them well? There's lots of folk on the web claim to be able to do it, and no doubt a fair number of charlatans, so I'd be grateful for any advice and recommendations you could make.

Thanks,

Hi Captain

Welcome to CAG

Unfortunately the site doesn't make recommendations. It's become quite difficult to prove unenforceability of agreements due to recent cases. Lots of claims companies promise the earth but deliver very little. You could contact your local CAB office and see if they could advise.

I wouldn't bother. Egg agreements were usually pretty watertight. How much are they saying you owe - I've just had them write off £12500 of credit card debt by sending them my IE sheet - if you don't ask.....

They WROTE OFF £12.5K based on an ie sheet? How was that? Usually they reduce repayments but debt goes on forever, or accept full & final proposals. Dude, I'm impressed. It would be very helpful indeed if you would post up a copy of your letter to Egg proposing they reduce the debt based on affordability.

DS

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

They WROTE OFF £12.5K based on an ie sheet? How was that? Usually they reduce repayments but debt goes on forever, or accept full & final proposals. Dude, I'm impressed. It would be very helpful indeed if you would post up a copy of your letter to Egg proposing they reduce the debt based on affordability.

DS

Watching I'm A Celebrity at the moment (sorry!) Will post letter tomorrow for you - as you know me, I tend to forget things, so do remind me otherwise it won't get done. I did have the major benefit of saying I was perfectly happy for them to make me bankrupt (which I truthfully was). They could see there was no point in spending out money to write off my debt for me. CAB gave me this advice a while ago and what a powerful tool it is! Remind me tomorrow and I'll post the letter itself!

Hi captain (or hello sailor)

Everyone is treading on eggshells, rightly, given recent legal cases.

The sec 78 CCA request will prove nothing because they can return any old crap.

If they think you can repay the money they'll take you to court.

If they think you can't, then the lack of proper paperwork adds to their dilemma.

There are other ways to skin a cat; T&cs charges etc.

By the way, you don't have a delinquent account; they allege that they do: sometimes, language can be important.

best wishes

vic