• Tweets

• Hi dx, thanks. Yes actually, that is the case with this one! I've taken tomorrow off work, I need to review the whole binder for each of these and I'll refrain from further questions until I do just that. Just on hold for court ref Claim #2
    • 1. who knows... 2. not the whole A/C vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th b'day ...already carefully explain this. 3.yes 4.already carefully explain this.
    • if i remember rightly, long ago in one of the first drafts of the old proposed gov't overhauls, there was a listing of recommended 'charges' that inc wrong reg = £20. some PPC's implemented such changes in advance. then later as it looked increasing likely the new code was never going to be implemented after it's 1st review and another set of codes was to be debated they all quietly revert back .......... dx
    • Potentially it may not even get sold on? Just the default left for 6 years then gone? but if it is sold on ill get a letter from the DCA which is the notice of assignment? Sorry what is the different between a default notice and a default cal marker? yes, i may try and work arrangements out with the OCs after the breathing space but I'll see my circumstances then thank you again for all your help and patience, I really appreciate it and apologies If i am too fast or repeating myself.
    • receiving a default NOTICE (forget simple default cal markers) does not mean it will get sold on... OC's very very rarely do court themselves.  if it does you would receive a Notice of Assignment from the debt buyer/DCA.  as for reduced payment if it remains with the OC and they issue a DN, no harm in trying but lets get all your ducks inline first. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£15k debts - Settlements offers

JeffW
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 7 years ago, I took out a loan from Lloyds TSB, which was supposed to be repaid over a period of 5 years. Due to a period of financial difficulty, I fell into arrears. Since then, I have been on various repayment programmes.

Because the APR on my loan is 18% of the full amount of the loan, I have been getting deeper and deeper into debt, despite making repayments.

I find this situation unfair. I am thinking of saying to Lloyds TSB 'Give me a loan where my total repayment is equivalent to what I was originally supposed to have paid over the 5 years, minus what I have already paid, or I'll see you in court'.

Also, I feel I was missold my insurance. Had I known it would not cover people in the line of work I was in at the time (telesales), I would not have taken it out. Can I make a claim in respect of this?

Lloyds TSB are threatening to issue me a default - Is there anything I can do to force Lloyds TSB to suspend this action?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

I am considering taking Lloyds TSB to court over a loan that was leant to me at a time when I was in severe financial diffuculty (the loan was for more than my annual salary, and was 18% APR!).

When looking at claims, do the courts take into account whether the bank acted reponsibly in loaning the money?

Regards

Jeff

Irresponsible lending is an important issue which is talked about very often, which is a frequent topic of discussion on this site and because of the present financial crisis is becoming an extremely significant matter.

I think that there is no doubt that the bank owes you a duty of care and it has a duty to lend responsibly. This is even more certain now because the proposed FSA replacement to the banking code which is due to come into force in November of this year refers to responsible lending. The new retail banking rules of conduct will be obligatory and the FSA will have the power to impose sanctions for non-compliance.

Of course the problem is to identify what is "irresponsible".

I am not aware so far that there has been any litigation on the basis of the bank's duty to lend responsibly. It is quite wrong, however to say that the courts do not look at the question of irresponsible lending. The courts will look at any claim brought before them where that claim falls under an acceptable cause of action and is appropriately argued.

Certainly we hear so many cases where people prisons are in difficulties and have exceeded their overdrafts and very clearly have trouble coping and the bank's solution is to consolidate it all into a loan. We often hear of people being threatened by the banks if they will not accept the consolidation loan. This kind of situation, in my view, this prima facie evidence of irresponsible lending because it must be clear to the bank that there is already difficulty and furthermore they are exercising duress as a result of their dominant position in the current account relationship.

If you think that you are the victim of irresponsible lending then maybe you should tell us a little bit more about it here. However I am quite sure that to challenge the bank on this basis will be a difficult road. Having said that of course it may be that the banks are often being challenged for this and simply settling out of court. I can imagine that no bank would want to have this kind of allegation made in public. We all know that they are little better than a bunch of bullies -- and nobody likes to have its bullying activities aired in public.

Thanks for your reply BankFodder.

My reason for considering the lending to have been irreponsible was that, at the time, my credit file was peppered with late payments (I may have even had a default or two), and I was earning £12,000 a year. The level of risk the bank must have known they were taking is reflected in the fact that, whilst most of the country enjoys nigh on 0% interest on their loans, I am still paying 18% on the amount originally borrowed.

Incidentally, I also consider the way the bank treated me when I signed up to be unfair. I was told that, because I was signing in the branch, I didn't have a cooling off period. When I asked whether I could be given a copy of the contract to take home so I could take it home and consider it, I was told 'Not really', which is surely a breach of my rights. Also, I only discovered when I tried to make a claim on the insurance I took out that it didn't cover my line of work. As it's my word against the bank saleswoman's, and the loan was sold several years ago, there is no way of proving this. In light of this, would a court take my claims seriously?

Regards

Jeff

Irresponsible lending is an important issue which is talked about very often, which is a frequent topic of discussion on this site and because of the present financial crisis is becoming an extremely significant matter.

I think that there is no doubt that the bank owes you a duty of care and it has a duty to lend responsibly. This is even more certain now because the proposed FSA replacement to the banking code which is due to come into force in November of this year refers to responsible lending. The new retail banking rules of conduct will be obligatory and the FSA will have the power to impose sanctions for non-compliance.

I am not aware so far that there has been any litigation on the basis of the bank's duty to lend responsibly. It is quite wrong, however to say that the courts do not look at the question of irresponsible lending. The courts will look at any claim brought before them where that claim falls under an acceptable cause of action and is appropriately argued.

Certainly we hear so many cases where people prisons are in difficulties and have exceeded their overdrafts and very clearly have trouble coping and the bank's solution is to consolidate it all into a loan. We often hear of people being threatened by the banks if they will not accept the consolidation loan. This kind of situation, in my view, this prima facie evidence of irresponsible lending because it must be clear to the bank that there is already difficulty and furthermore they are exercising duress as a result of their dominant position in the current account relationship.

If you think that you are the victim of irresponsible lending then maybe you should tell us a little bit more about it here. However I am quite sure that to challenge the bank on this basis will be a difficult road. Having said that of course it may be that the banks are often being challenged for this and simply settling out of court. I can imagine that no bank would want to have this kind of allegation made in public. We all know that they are little better than a bunch of bullies -- and nobody likes to have its bullying activities aired in public.

Lloyds TSB are threatening to default my account if I don't pay off my loan by the 11th of May.

Is there any way of forcing them to postpone this, such as by threatening legal action against them?

Regards

Jeff

OFT was interested in this and last year had a consultation on Irresponsible Lending(below is the views expressed).

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft1012resp.pdf

Totally agree with you on this.

Case law on irresponsible lending is required.

I think there is an argument that could say if you are paying out £400 on debts and the bank can cut it to £200 that it is not irresponsible....and yes I have done that personally using the same logic.

Never assume a bank will settle out of court. I think that from the following post of the OP that his first route is the PPI reclaim. I don't think that on this case there is irresponsible lending but I think the OP does need to get hold of all paperwork he completed for the loan since the figures entered for his income will be the ones that would be interesting to know. That could prove that there was a failure of due dilligence if those figures were inflated in any way.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I have recently been on a short-term repayment programme for a loan I took out with Lloyds TSB, having fallen into financial difficulties. Because I missed my April payment, Lloyds TSB are threatening to default my account if I haven't paid the full balance of the loan by the 11th of May.

If Lloyds TSB default my account, can I have this default removed on the grounds that I was not in arrears for three consecutive months at the time the default was issued?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I didn't lie about my income, if that's what you mean. :)

According to this article, irresponsible lending goes against the voluntary banking code:

BBC NEWS | Business | Bank 'offered unaffordable loans'

Jeff

I don't think that on this case there is irresponsible lending but I think the OP does need to get hold of all paperwork he completed for the loan since the figures entered for his income will be the ones that would be interesting to know. That could prove that there was a failure of due dilligence if those figures were inflated in any way.

This is the usual standard threatogram when a payment is missed, the main thing is not to ignore them though, so make contact and explain your situation and that you are working towards paying the debt, there are letters on the letters templates page you can use to help you when writing to Loyds TSB. Here is the link,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/generel-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

I didn't lie about my income, if that's what you mean. :)

You might not, but they might have inflated it ;)

According to this article, irresponsible lending goes against the voluntary banking code:

BBC NEWS | Business | Bank 'offered unaffordable loans'

Jeff

Do you see what I am saying?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

As anyone tried forcing banks to correct the information they've given to the credit agencies by threatening to sue them for defamation on the grounds that the incorrect information could prevent them from getting loans or credit agreements?

If so, have you found this method to be successful?

Regards

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of defaulting on my loan with Lloyds TSB, as doing so would cause the whopping 20% interest per annum I'm paying to be suspended (after my hard-earned taxes spared them from bankrupsy, it's the least they can do!).

My credit file's already knackered thanks to Lloyds, so I'm not worried about not being able to get a loan if I were to default. However, would a default stop me from getting a landline phone with Virgin or BT, or a broadband contract?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Currently, I'm paying 13% APR on a Lloyds TSB loan. Would I be right in thinking that, if I were to default on the loan, it would be passed to an external company to collect, and the interest would be frozen?

I'm aware that getting a default means that I won't get any credit anytime soon, but thanks to Lloyds TSB, my credit file is well and truely messed up anyway, so I'm not too bothered about that!

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jeff

• 6 months later...

I've just tried phoning Lloyds about a loan I'm repaying.

After entering my account details, I was told by a recording that my account had been passed to the Consumer Debt Recovery Team, who will be in touch.

What are the implications of this? And does anyone have any tips for dealing with this team?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In basic terms it would appear that your debt has been passed to LLoyds inhouse debt collectors. Is there any possible reason that this might have happened, for example have you defaulted on any payments due or anything like that?

Regards,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Just a bit... :)

I got fed up of Lloyds TSB's extortionate rate of interest and their broken promises.

And when I tried to get answers, I invariably ended up speaking to some muppet in Delhi with pigeon English.

So I thought missing a few payments might be a way of getting Lloyds to sit up and pay attention! Also, I hoped that, if my debt was transferred to debt recovery, then the interest would be frozen. Will it?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In basic terms it would appear that your debt has been passed to LLoyds inhouse debt collectors. Is there any possible reason that this might have happened, for example have you defaulted on any payments due or anything like that?

Regards,

TFT

Hi Jeff,

I understand your frustrations with Lloyds call centre staff, I am affraid that when I phone up my insurers or bank I just hang up till I get an operative I can understand lol.

I am affraid to say that Lloyds will not automatically freeze your interest because your account has been passed to collections. You say you have missed a few payments - are you aware of whether or not you have received a default notice on the account? This is quite important.

Also, Lloyds will no doubt be adding default charges to your account aswell. How you resolve this matter will depend on your financial circumstances. If you are in financial hardship then I would advise you to make a written offer of repayment - this would be your opportunity to get any charges removed and interest frozen.

If you are not in financial hardship I would say pay the loan down as quickly as possible.

Whatever you do, never speak to Lloyds on the phone, only communicate with them via writing.

You also mention that you fed up of their extortionate interest rates and broken promises, have Lloyds acted in any unlawful maner which may impact the agreement you have?

To help you further it would be good to know the following info:

Is the loan secured/un-secured

Approx loan value

Date loan was taken out

Whether you have the original loan agreement

Was there any PPI (payment protection insurance) on the loan

Best Regards,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Thanks TFT

In answer to your questions:

It's an unsecured loan

The original loan was for £12,000 pounds

The loan was taken out around 2001 or 2002 (it was supposed to be a 5 year loan!)

Not sure if I have the original loan agreement

There was PPI (and funnily enough, I've just been made redundant, so it could finally prove useful).

I can't remember if I've received a letter threatening to default me, but I haven't received any letters at all from Lloyds this side of the New Year.

As for Lloyds acting unlawfully, I was told it wouldn't be possible for me to sign the loan agreement at home, which removed my cooling off cancellation rights.

The bank repeatedly promised to put me on a repayment plan if I met the payment plan for 6 consecutive months, but this never materialised.

And I'm sure I wouldn't have taken out the insurance had I been told it wouldn't cover me for the profession I was in at the time (telesales).

The recorded message said that the debt recovery dept would be in touch in the next few days. I'll let you know what the letter says when I receive it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I understand your frustrations with Lloyds call centre staff, I am affraid that when I phone up my insurers or bank I just hang up till I get an operative I can understand lol.

I am affraid to say that Lloyds will not automatically freeze your interest because your account has been passed to collections. You say you have missed a few payments - are you aware of whether or not you have received a default notice on the account? This is quite important.

Also, Lloyds will no doubt be adding default charges to your account aswell. How you resolve this matter will depend on your financial circumstances. If you are in financial hardship then I would advise you to make a written offer of repayment - this would be your opportunity to get any charges removed and interest frozen.

If you are not in financial hardship I would say pay the loan down as quickly as possible.

Whatever you do, never speak to Lloyds on the phone, only communicate with them via writing.

You also mention that you fed up of their extortionate interest rates and broken promises, have Lloyds acted in any unlawful maner which may impact the agreement you have?

To help you further it would be good to know the following info:

Is the loan secured/un-secured

Approx loan value

Date loan was taken out

Whether you have the original loan agreement

Was there any PPI (payment protection insurance) on the loan

Best Regards,

TFT