Jump to content

Job seeker allowance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Because you would have been receiving contributory based JSA, which is only paid for a maximum of 6 months. When a person applies for JSA, they are firstly assessed according to their national insurance record. If sufficient class 1 NI contributions have been paid in the qualifying years (the last two complete tax years prior to the current benefit year - so for a claim made in 2010 this would be the tax years 07/08 and 08/09) then that person will be paid contributory based JSA for a maximum of 6 months. It is paid regardless of capital and most types of household income. Some forms of income such as a personal or occupational pension can affect it.


If a person has not made sufficient contributions in the qualifying years, or once contributory based JSA has exhausted and they want to continue claiming JSA, they will be assessed for income based JSA. This has no exhaustion date. If the claim is successful, it will continue until someone finds a job or until they are of pension age. Income based JSA as the name suggests is based upon the total household income and any capital. If you have a partner that works over 24 hours per week or who earns above the income threshold, a person will not qualify for income based JSA. If you have capital under £6000, it will not be affected. If you have capital between £6000 and £16000 JSA will be reduced by £1 per week for every £250 or part thereof between the two figures. It the capital is £16000 or more, income based JSA cannot be paid.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...