Changing a single a/c to a joint a/c

Mark5290

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father is very ill at the moment, before his health got a lot worse he wanted to change his single barclays bank account into a joint account adding his wife, my mother so she could access the account to pay the bills etc, also to avoid the account being frozen on his death as he wanted any money in the account to go to my mother now.

The man at the bank said there was no forms she could fill in and they would have to send someone out to see him, now because of the painkillers and morphine he is on he is getting very confused as to where he is and why he is there, so how is someone from the bank going to get any sense from him, i really need some advice here.

Thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark,

This may be complicated if your father is not capable of fully understanding what is going on, because of his drug regime.

He must complete forms from the bank to add your mother to the a/c but this may not be possible unless your father is lucid. If he is and the bank can send someone out, go for this option.

Otherwise, your parents should seek advice from a solicitor about making arrangemnts that will enable YM to handle matters on a "joint" basis if YD is no longer capable.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Just a further thought on this.............

If your father is lucid and competent, he could sign an "Authority to Act" whereby the bank recognises that another person can instruct them in the running of the a/c and sign cheques, etc.

This would be an informal alternative to a formal Power of Attorney.

But I still think some legal advice, perhaps a free 30 min session, from a local solicitor would be the proper way to go.

Has the matter of Wills been addressed by your parents.

8)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for the reply Slick, it has been a difficult 5 days, when i wrote my OP there was now way he could be moved and he was not aware of anything going on around him, things got worse later Sat morning because he was accidentally given someone elses extra dose of Morphine which was double the amount he should have had.

They had to give him some drugs to reverse the effects of all the morphine in his system and we did not think he was going to make it, he now knows what has happened to him and is afraid to be left alone, so we are taking turns to stay with him during the day and overnight, i don't think i will ever forget my Mother phoning me on Sun night to tell me he is screaming in pain asking whether he is alive or dead and calling out for me.

His pain management has had to be restarted from scratch, so the last couple of days have been very tough on him, the doctors think he was semi comatose last week because of a combination of all the morphine/other drugs in his system and all the toxins in his blood coming from his diseased kidney(he went in with the kidney problem so i don't know how that came as a surprise to them).

Today he has been a lot better and there is talk that he could leave to go home, not sure for how long though, i will look into your suggestions regarding wills, authority to act, PoA etc, he may even be well enough to go to the bank, thanks for all your help.

Regards, Mark.

Thanks for the update Mark. This must have been horrid for you all and I hope YF improves.

Keep us updated about any developments with the banking arrangements too.

8-)