Jump to content

Cancelled council tax benifit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I moved in with my disabled mother in 2004, she failed to tell the council that I was living there, they have now cancelled her council tax benefit, any advice on how much she/ I will hav to pay back and can they demand a lump sum

They have asked for my pay slips, date of birth, national insurance number etc are they entitled to this

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amount: no idea. Only the council will know that as it depends on how much your mother was actually claiming.


Lump sum: if I recally correctly, council tax benefit gets paid back onto the council tax account. If this is the case you should be able to pay this in instalments, however it would follow the same rules as paying council tax and whether or not you could afford to do this without incurring recovery action depends on how much she is asked to pay back. You'll be better of speaking to the council tax dept about this to make some kind of arrangement once you know how much she is required to pay back.


Asking for paperwork: I guess you mean the benefits dept have asked for this? They've probably asked for this information to assess whether your mum would still be able to claim any benefits whilst you are living there. As housing/council tax benefit is means-tested, the amount she can claim is dependent on the money you have coming in and going out.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...