• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff Officers

Wad2002
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to this forum and would like some advice. i feel really betrayed and sick for way my local sheriff office has treated me.

To cut a long story short, I was served a "Charge for Payment of money" on the 19th August 2010. This brought the total balance to £626.49. The original council tax balance was £563.08 which is for year 2010/11 (This year).

The day the charge was served, i was at work and officers had visted my property. Roughly at the same time they visted, I called the council office to arrnage to pay £20 per week. However, the then referred me to Alex M Adamon (based in Falkirk). After submitting a complaint via email, I recieved a nice call back from an officer who seem very helpful and spoke to as person and not as a statisic. They main line customer service is shoddy to say the least.

Anyway, I arranged to pay £25 per week which is alot to me - scraping the barrell and he said he was happy with that. He even said, if you have more cash at xmas - pay up with I said I would do. I did not reieve any agreement document what so ever and have only had letters this week since August from them.

I recieved a letter yesterday in the post with one sentance - Enclosing Debt Advice and information package. The balance on the letter said £451.49(which yesterday I was pretty chuffed with as the balance had gone down quite a bit).

I have now today recieved Earning Arrestment Scedule showing the new balance of £502.90. (it states Less paid to account £215.00).

I have missed 2 payment since then one was when I was in england about 2 months ago for work and I made a payment about 3 weeks ago and I think the website payment order timed out or something - perhaps my fault, however if they decided to call me, I would have happily made an extra £50 payment extra this week to save the hassell and fees.

Please note the Earnings Arrsement Scedule has not been signed by the officer ( I read that it needs to be signed). I have never heard from since my inital phone call and now they do this. Fair enough if I had missed 2 -3 weeks in a row worth of payments. The times I missed, I made a made a payment the following week and they now add extra charges. The £215 I have paid (75% has went towards charges as it stands) - Is this not snowballing?

I am going to cal them tomorrow, but like many people, its like trying to draw blood from a stone.

Also, the order form has been sent to the organisation I work for, however i am an agency member of staff and I am not paid by the organisation they have sent it to.

The amount I have paid so far, if to continue at that rate - the debt would have been setteled before April 2011. I mean they are trying to arrest my wages which I can't really afford for services I havn't even recieve dyet! - The law is really ridculous.

Any advice or information would be greatful.

Thanks

Wad

I've asked someone to have a look in to help, as Scottish problems are different to us Sassenachs.

PT

Thanks, please feel free to move the topic/rename if its not correct.

Just really annoyed, looking at some other threads, seemingly, they have to send you a charge of payment 14 days before the arrestment, however they have not done this.

Thanks again.

Thread moved to Scotland Forum.

You said you received the Charge for Payment on the 19th August, you then have 14 days to pay the debt.

I take it you arranged a payment plan with Alex M Adamon, then missed a few.

Best thing to do would be to get in touch with them tomorrow and try set up another plan, I'm not sure they will go for that.

I've dealt with Sheriff Officers in Edinburgh and they are very difficult now when it comes to Council Tax arrears, I would say for sure do not ignore them as the will persue you relentlessly.

Regarding the wages arrestment, there are limits to what they can deduct depending on your earnings.

I'll pm another Mod IdaInFife who's more clued up on this than me.

Regards.

Scott.

Edited by maroondevo52
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Edit... Just to say - when i initaially spoke to the sherriff officer and arrange to pay, I asked that he set up a D/Debit just incase anything if missed. Hes said no no its fine, just use the one off payment method on the website and that is fine. If he had set up the D/Debit in the first place like a requested - this would not have happened.

Is there anything I can do on this point?

If think £75 per month is reasonable even though the average I have paid is more than this. If I reoffer £30 per week can they choose not too accept this and continue with the wages arrsement. I really can't afford £60 per week of my wages paying for council tax in the current year.

Thsnks again

**Update**

Just off the phone to Alex M Adamson - after trying to ask re4asonable questions they pam you off "I'll terminate the call".

However, I advised that the oarrsetment form has been sent to an organisation for whom I am not on payroll for. I am an agency member of staff working on there behalf who send an credit invoice to my agency for my pay.

He said if the form is returned as I don't work there then the charge will be removed and I can go back to my original £25 per week agreement.

Quick process of my wages -

Orgainsation --(credit invoice)--->Agency---(credit invoice)----> Personal Accountants (Umbrella Company - based in england)----(Payroll) -----> Bank account.

Am I correct in saying that the arrsetment has to go to the accountants based in england as they do my payroll?

Hiya,

The company have have duty to inforn the sheriff officers who completes your actual payments and so will inform them.

http://www.oqps.gov.uk/legislation/ssi/ssi2009/pdf/ssi_20090395_en.pdf

above is tha table in what you can work out what would be deducted.

The only ones that can charge you for this is your place of employment who are entitled to charge you a fee for adminitering the AOE.

Really you should follow up your call with a letter confirming the arrangent and try not to speak to them on the phone. It is always best to include and income and expenditure sheet but I wouldn't be surprised if they continues with the wages arrestment.

If they have charges on the account also ask for a breakdonw of your couunt details any charges they applied.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks for replying so soon Idainfife.

I kinda get what your saying, but his words specifcally was - if the form gets returned saying I do not work for the organisation (orginally addressed to), that they will remove the charge and I have to continue to make my weekly payments (continuing today).

I checked with the payroll section and they said they would more and less send the form back saying I am not on the system.

I will do what you said - follow up with a letter assuring that I will make the weekly payments without fail ( as I know now the drastic action that can be taken if you miss it - I explained I understood this on the phone to them).

Edit - It doesn't say on the document that the organsation who I work on behalf have to disclose the agency for whom I work for?

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Wad2002

• 2 years later...

Called alec adamson today as they took money from wages for a debt paid in full june 2012

spoke to a rather unhelpful lady called Maureen whe terminated my call as she says I was being abrupt I called back got through to a chap called Colin and says I was trying to get help to sort this out what about customer service his reply was """" You are a debtor and customer service does not apply to you "" who do I complain to

"" who do I complain to

Hi,

There's a link here to the SOCIETY OF MESSENGERS-AT-ARMS AND SHERIFF OFFICERS in Edinburgh, they handle complaints...........

http://www.smaso.org/images/COMPLAINTS_2012.pdf

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert