Landlords Responsibilty and Withholding Rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have rented a flat for 9 yrs. I have always had a problem with the plumbing and the heating seldom works. When i mention this to the letting company, they arrange for their plumber to come and fix the issue. However, it is always a temporary fix and only lasts a week.

The whole system needs a proper overhaul, but they don't want to spend the money (or so it seems).

I have always paid my rent on time so no issue there.

Am i in my rights to insist they use a different plumber (one who knows what they are doing) and to expect a heating system that works for more than a few days at a time.

I would also like to withold a portion of the rent (maybe 50%) until they sort this issue - am i in my rights to do this.

I hardly ever complain to the letting agency and there are other issues which i have "put up" with for an easy life, but now i am fed up.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

You need to be a bit more specific - whats the issue with the plumbing and whats the issue with the heating?

You do have aright to withold rent if you follow correct procedures, we need to understand if whats wrong with the plumbing and heating fits in with these procedure.

Why on earth have you stayed for 9 years!

Hi

thanks for the reply.

Firstly, the reason i have stayed there is because, aside from the plumbibg problem, the flat is brilliant. Very big, fantastic location, no neighbours as such. Built as part of a medical centre i have my own entrance - mos people don't even realise that someone lives there.

Problem with plumbing/heating:

Not really sure how to describe it but the pressure in the boiler is non existent after a couple of days once fixed. I can "turna screw" on the boiler which allows the pressure to build up, but soon disappears. Only a few of the radiators work. The plumber bleeds them, does"other" things, says all will be fine. Two days later, back to square one.

The odd thing is there is always hotwater!

I spoke to the letting agency after posting the earlier message. Made it fairly clear i wasn't happy and they understand. However, they have to use the same plumber as they have paid him to fix the problem, but he hasn't managed to do it.

I also told them i might withhold some rent money until sorted.

The letting agency understand my issue. The problem is with the landlords who dont appear to like spending any money. Understandable except they are a collection of GP's who certianly are wealthy enough. I'm not sure they are really aware of the position as i think the letting agency deal with a secretary/manager.

appreciate any of the replies - i will update when i hear back after my complaint.

Thanks, and really pleased i found this forum

Sounds like the plumber is enjoying the regular work.

The loss of pressure could be due to a leak in the system somewhere or because the pressure release valve is letting the water out. Evidence for the latter would be that there is a pipe coming out of the boiler that drips water when the heating is on.

Problem radiators could be due to them being blocked by sludge, stuck valves or pipes to them are too small.

This is bread and butter stuff for a decent plumber. It might be worth your while getting hold of a decent plumber yourself if you like the place so much.

Please refrain from personal abuse - very funny - i only said hot water but omitted the space. Made me chuckle anyway.

Thanks again for reply. I will wait now to see what happens.

I might see about a plumber myself.

Cheers all

Mark

I have been a very good tenant since Feb.2006 and last week I received a letter telling me my lease would not be renewed.No reason forthcoming but I can only guess that renovation is the plan and a much higher rent required when it is re let.Landlords should not treat good tenants like this.The stress of moving in the middle of winter is not a pleasant thought.