MIL Civil Recovery

Penfold3000

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good day,

I'm hoping for some advice or a point in the right direction.

My younger brother has received a call from MIL civil recovery demanding payment for a water bill he knows nothing about. My brother has just finished university and while there he shared a flat with two others. The water bill was not in his name but in one of his flat mates whom he paid monthly. The water contract started his flat mate’s name and “plus others". No other names were on the contract.

The demand is only for GBP36 but it is the manner in which MIL are demanding the money that is concerning me. MIL obtained my brothers details from one of his old flat mates as they had received calls from MIL and paid up. As far as I know they do not know my brothers address or surname. They said that unless my brother pays up immediately he will be taken to court and made to pay all the court costs ect. They demanded that my brother gave them his bank details to which he refused. At this point MIL became more aggressive. He said he would pay but not till the end of the month which they said was unacceptable and suggested that he go and borrow the money from someone to pay them.

I’ve had a look online and cannot find any company called MIL Civil Recovery. If this company is real are they allowed to verbally threaten by brother in such a way? Where does my brother stand from a legal point of view, can they take him to court for a debt he knows nothing about? Are they allowed to refuse the offer my brother made to them for payment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tell him to pay NOTHING.

Many of us on CAG suggest that you do not speak to the likes of this company on the telephone as they lie and threaten and bully. If they telephone him again, tell him not to answer their security questions, tell them he requires everything in writing only.

If, or when he does get anything in writing, post it here and we will guide from there.

At no time should he give out any of his financial information, they have no right to this, and need to prove that he is the personal responsible for the supposed debt. They are not going to take him to Court for such a small amount, I doubt that is possible anyway!

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

never heard of them, probably some one mad band who hopes to intimidate, as stated by HS ignore the idiots until they rpovide any proof, taken to court for £36 quid, their having a laugh

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)