Uninsured on Courtesy car

wiseman405
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have always used the same JCT600 garage for all my services and MOT's over the past 2 years. In total i have had 3 courtesy cars. Last week i dropped off my car with them and they took my driving liscsence details. She went off to get the keys for the courtesy car, glanced at the screen and questioned my age, i am 19. She said the policy for people over 21 only, and its actually just changed from 25 and over. So this means i have been uninsured for 3 times under their own policy (I was 17 when i used the first car). I also wasn't happy with the way i was treated but thats another story. I wrote them a letter, and they've arranged a meeting with me today. I don't know whether i could take this any further? I'm not expecting anything but if i were to get offered anything small, such as a service, would i be wise to accept or reject and take things further. They have potentially put me liable for the damages caused to the car, me and others. Do i have a case?

Thanks in advance

Tom

I don't know how their system works but when I have my car serviced I have to take my insurance, I am then covered to drive their car. My cover also allows me to drive somebody else's car but my cover is reduced to third party! that car has to have insurance in force. They have certainly put you in a perilous position specially at such a young age and the price of insurance for young people. I think you need to let them know how reckless they have been and only through shear luck you have not ended up in trouble through their negligence.

When i book my services i always ask for the potential registration number of the car, and i do try get the insurance through my policy, but due to aviva been pretty poor when it comes to sending faxes and letters i usually give up after the 10th call. The first time i took out a courtesy car i was asked to sign a sheet with at least 4000 words on (jct policy), so like most people you just sign where it says, they had already seen my age etc on my driving liscense so nothing crossed my mind. Since then i haven't had to sign anything so they just literally give me the keys and say ta ta. I just find it scary how if i had written off the car i was in, a ferrari driving the opposite way and a man worth 3.2mill driving it, i'd of been pretty screwed, and like you say at my age i'd of been banned for years and getting insurance would have been a total nightmare! i look after my no claims and respect other road users to loose that would be frightening!

Thanks for the speedy reply

Tom

It is always the drivers responsibility to ensure they have valid cover for the vehicle. Garage is not in any way liable if you damaged anything. However, they could be prosecuted for allowing an uninsured driver to drive their vehicle with their concent.

To get anywhere you would have to report this to the police, who would then prosecute YOU for driving uninsured. They may not even bother prosecuting the garage so you would lose in any case.

The garage are in thge wrong here though and perhaps you can persuade them to offer you a free service next time. I wouldn't expect much more if I were you.