Tom Tom using dodgy selling methods

fazee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i purchased tomtom go 930 device last year. Mainfactor for me spending £279.95 on this device was 1- the device got Europe, US & Canada maps with big advertisement on top of the box saying "+ 2 YEARS FREE MAP UPDATE SERVICE (WORTH £69.95). it was obvious for customer to think this free two year map upgrade offer is for all the existing maps inside device. but recently i tried to upgrade and i realised US & Canada maps are not upgrading then i read the small print inside the promotion sticker.The promotion sticker was sealed like pay slip and small print can only be revealed after breaking the three sides of it. inside small print was upgrade offer is only for european maps.

No customer would have known the upgrade offer was only for european maps without breaking the seal of promtotion sticker. why didn't tomtom put in obvious writing in front of the box that. "Free 2 year map upgrade for EU only" that's it. then i wouldn't have bothered wasting my money on tom tom's device.

brands like you tom tom using cheap selling methods doesn't sound great? does it.

all the time i was just assuming all maps are being updated.

then i had to face clueless tomtom customer support.

Thanks

Communication History

Customer Faizan . 31/10/2010 12.17 PM

i purchased tomtom go 930 device last year. Mainfactor for me buying this device was a big advertisement on top of the box saying free two year map upgrade. it was obvious for customer to think this free two year map upgrade offer is for all the existing maps inside device. but recently i tried to upgrade US and Canada Maps and i realised they not upgrading then i read the small print inside the sticker saying upgrade offer is only for european maps.

How on earth i would know the upgrade offer was only for european maps without breaking the seal of sticker. why didn't you put in obvious writing that. "Free 2 year map upgrade for EU only" that's it. then i wouldn't have bothered wasting my money on your device.

brands like you using cheap selling methods doesn't sound great? does it.

all the time i was just assuming all maps are being updated.

would never dare to recommend to anyone and to myself again.

Thank you very Much

Faizan

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Response Kevin K. (UK) 01/11/2010 10.47 AM

Dear Faizan,

This is Kevin with TomTom Customer Support. Thank you for your e-mail.

Should you have any more questions regarding this e-mail or any other queries regarding your TomTom GO 930, don't hesitate to contact me by following the instructions in this e-mail. If you prefer to contact us by phone, feel free to give us a call on 0845 161 0009 (Your reference 101031-001993).

The Map Update Service promotion was indeed only applicable to the European map.

I am sorry that you are disappointed by the fact that it only applied to your European maps, but please bear in mind that you would have had to use the promotion for American - had it existed - within the first sixty to ninety days of purchase. It would not have been possible to use the promotion at this point.

Please let me know if you have any additional queries.

Please bear in mind that I am a part timer, and can therefore not always respond to your query right away. You can, however, give us a ring on 0845 161 0009.

With Kind Regards

Kevin

The TomTom Customer Care Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Faizan . 01/11/2010 03.35 PM

in your email you said

"The Map Update Service promotion was indeed only applicable to the European map."

how did customer know this promotion was only for European maps ?. Since you only put sticker with nice words saying free two years maps upgrade service.

if you want the attachment of that advertisement on box i can send i still got the complete box.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Narayan M. (UK) 03/11/2010 04.29 PM

Dear Miss .,

The reference number for your query is 101031-001993.

This is Narayn from Tomtom support and I have taken over your case from Kevin.

Unfortunately the promotion was only for the European which could have been confirmed by the retailer where your device was purchased. Also this promotion would have needed to be activated within a certain time frame so this would not have been available (if US maps were part of this promotion) if you had only tried to use this now.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

With Kind Regards

Narayn

----------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Faizan . 03/11/2010 07.31 PM

no retailer didn't confirmed me that offer is only for EU maps. now you are trying to pass blame.

see your promotion which i have attached with this email.

and also according to UK laws it comes under "false description" and "misleading price" which is a criminal offence. see attached doc.

fair enough you done your bit i ll pass on this issue further to BBC watch dog and UK trading standards office to do my bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Narayan M. (UK) 04/11/2010 10.16 AM

Dear Miss .,

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done, if you were unsure you could have confirmed this with the retailer or contacted us. The promotion was only for European maps and the offer has long expired.

I'm sorry you feel this promotion was misleading but the information was correct as you did receive 2 years worth of map update service which is usually 69.95GBP.

With Kind Regards

Narayn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Faizan . 05/11/2010 12.52 AM

yes i have confirmed with retailer and he said yes this promotion is for all maps and after discovering that USA & Canada maps are not being updated during my recent visit to canada i contacted tom tom straight away.

you also said. "The promotion was only for European maps and the offer has long expired."

for your knowledge promotion hasn't been expired at all on my device. promotion is still valid with plenty of time and i am updating EU maps on my device just right now. do some home work before responding to customers and writing support emails to customers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Narayan M. (UK) 05/11/2010 11.13 AM

Dear Miss .,

The promotion is only for the Europe maps as it states on the the sticker you mentioned.

Also when I say the promotion has long expired, I mean if you tried to activate this promotion now, it will not allow you as this has ended. As you have already activated this then this service will continue for the full period.

With Kind Regards

Narayn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Faizan . 07/11/2010 01.25 AM

in your last email you said "Also when I say the promotion has long expired, I mean if you tried to activate this promotion now"

that shows you had no idea whether i have activated that promotion already or not and for how long you are absolutely clueless about that. your every response is based on assumption after assumption that is , retailer would have told you then you would have asked retailer.

class of customer service mate. excellent

03112010309.jpg

tradingstandardsUKGov.jpg

03112010310.jpg

Edited by fazee
more detail