International Item Handling Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm sure this has been handled before but I'll ask anyway.

I received a DVD from the US. It didn't arrive instead I got a card asking for £11.30 (or near that) extra to get hold of it, the original item cost me $30.

When I got it I found that the charge was made up completely of a handling charge and VAT, no customs charge at all.

How / Can I start to claim it back ?

I have made a complaint to their website but they just responded that they have to pass items for customs but there was, as I say, no charge and no chance of a charge.

The guy in the US has sent to the UK before with no customs issues or additional charges.

there was, as I say, no charge and no chance of a charge.

Yes there was, there was VAT to pay. You've already stated that. Was the VAT charged incorrectly? If not, then why would you claim it back?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

No - it was correctly identified as having VAT to pay. By declaring the vlaue at $30, this puts it over the UK limit for a 'free pass', so it would need clearance. In no duty was charged, it was probably just under that limit, but since it was an import, the handling charge would need to be paid regardless.

Hi,

I paid by cash over the counter, they kept the card.

The customs declaration is marked as merchandise with a value of $30. If it had a customs charge and that have VAT then fair enough.

But the Royal Mail International sticker states :

Import Duty £0

Excise Duty £0

Vat £3.35

Other £0

RMI Handling fee £8

I'm basically paying for nothing except someone in RMI misjudging whether my item needs to pay duty and then I'm paying VAT for that.

I know that RMI gets paid a fee by the US Postal Service for handling it once it gets to these shores. Why should I pay twice ?

As I tapped the guy who had sent it has sent quite a few identical packages to the UK.

I think you are confused over what you have been charged for - you have been charged Import VAT based on the value of the item you have imported, and then a handling cost to cover the administration of collecting that fee and paying it to HMRC.

The £3.35 is not VAT on the £8 handling charge, rather the other way round the handling charge is for the VAT!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.