Jump to content

How do I find out the balance on a CCJ from 1991


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Having been offered a bigger and bigger overdraft over 3 years at University in early 90's, I was promptly contacted by my then bank manager in my final week at uni. and asked when I was going to pay back the £2000 I owed them. With no more grant payments going in to my bank account the bank manager gave me two options, get my parents to take on the debt or I signed some papers that would mean I would pay back a small amount of money each month and there would be no interest on the money I owed. It turned out to be a CCJ I naively agreed to.


The agreement started in 1991 or 1992, and the collecting agency was Elizabeth Handforth Solicitors in Manchester. I initially paid £4 per month for a couple of years, and then I started paying in £100 here and there rather than making monthly payments. Then about 7 years or so ago I set up a direct debit and started making payments of £20 per month.


It occurred to me today that I have no idea how much I still owe or indeed if I've overpaid. I tried to call Elizabeth Handforth solicitors, but the telephone number I had is no longer valid and I can't find any reference to them on the internet, suggesting they've probably not been in business for a while.


Does anyone know how I can find out how much I owe on a CCJ debt from 1991 and who the debt is now with.


Also, from reading some of the threads on CAG, it looks like the fact I'm still making regular payments means the debt is still active and has not been cleared from the records after 6 years as I'd hoped - is that correct and how does that affect me. I've seemingly had a good credit rating for many years and I've checked my credit report and there's no mention of the CCJ.


I don't really want to go to Barclays direct if I can help it, as my husband made his Barclay account a joint account when we got married and I didn't declare my previous debt history to the bank. I don't want to give him a bad credit rating by default or re-ignite something that has long been forgot by the bank.


Any help or useful suggestions very much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I was still paying Elizabeth Handforth, the debt collectors. I haven't been informed of any changes, and that's the problem really, I don't know how to find out who I'm actually paying at the moment. I think I'm going have to contact Barclays who the debt was originally with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...


Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.



I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.


Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.



Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.


It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...