Sold a car on finance without knowing it was on finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I sold a car back in Dec 2009 and I had a knock on the door last week, the buyer had found out the car was subject to a Log Book Loan. I brought the car from a dealer off e-bay, I didnt do a check on the car, but I decided I didnt want the car after a couple of weeks of owning it, it was too heavy on fuel for my needs so I sold the car (who is a part time dealer) via autotrader. I have researched this subject greatly on the internet, but I cant find the answer I want answered.

The question is:- I have all the details of the dealer I brought it off, I have tried to solve the problem but it seems the dealer I brought it off wants to go to court. Can I just give my buyer the details of the dealer I brought it off and thats me out of the loop?

I am trying to see the CAB, but it takes two weeks to get an appointment, and I dont really want to spend the money on a solictor.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello and Welcome, shotgun.

Sorry I can't help with your question but will move this thread to the Motoring Forum where hopefully someone can.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The new buyer can claim off you and it is up to you to claim off the person you bought it from. I don't think there is any way around this. The dealer that sold the car to you should have checked whether there was any finance registered on the car. Unfortunatley both you and the new buyer are caught in the trap, but it is your responsibuility to go after the original dealer. May the original delaer did a check and nothing flagged up but you will not know this until you contacted them.

• Haha 1

I am a little confused by this statement '(who is a part time dealer)'. Do you mean the person who bought it from you is a part time dealer, you are a part time dealer or the person you bought it from is a part time dealer?

As far as the law is concerned, if the car was secured against a loan then the car belongs to the loan company. You effectively (although innocently) sold a stolen car. Obviously the dealer who sold it to you did also.

Best course of action would be to ensure the facts are correct, ie it actually was subject to a LBL at the time you sold it. If so, then refund the buyer as you have no choice. I would do the refund by cheque - definitely not cash and get a signature to confirm that they will not persue the matter further.

As for the dealer that sold it to you, well again if it was subject to a LBL at the time you bought it, then he has sold you a stolen vehicle which is a criminal offence. As long as you have documents to show when you bought it and when the LBL was taken out, I would ask for a full refund or you will bring in the police and press charges.

For info, if your buyer is in Scotland, they already have good title. If not, you could argue you were unaware of the issue, but if you did not warrant it was HPI clear, then your buyer should have. If they did not, then you're in the clear if you're a private seller. If you are a trader, then different rules apply.

• 7 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.