Car needs repairs after only 5 months ownership.

xoAmyox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car at the end of May, and although it had high mileage, I could see that it had previously only had one MOT fail for a very simple broken bulb issue.

However, since it has now become time for its MOT again, a whole range of problems have cropped up. Rear brakes need replacing, something to do with the suspension, an advisory notice for something to do with the steering column, and headlight not pointing at the right angle (didnt know this could fail the MOT!) and a couple of other things (I'll add them when I see the notice again).

As its essential that I have the car to get to work, and to take my partner to work, we've put it in to the garage to be repaired, but they say it could be several hundred pounds!

I know that the SOGA says that some things are covered for 6 months, do the things I've mentioned fall under that, and is it too late for me to do anything about now i've put it in a different garage to be fixed??

Just as a side note, we've already had a problem with the electrics, and therefore no rear lights whatsoever, which a very *cough* helpful *cough* police officer who followed us for 27 miles pointed out! This I paid £70 to be repaired, and didnt mention it to the dealership.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

The car is a 52 plate, and we have covered approx 2k miles in it since purchased. I'm quoting my partner here on the things that need doing 'Brakes both rear. Headlight, and suspension arms'

I'm quite concerned that the car seems to have some touching up done to the paintwork below the headlight thats now 'not at the right angle', this sounds like the dealership have botched it, perhaps even knowing that it wouldnt pass an MOT.

I will have exact details of what the faults are once I get the paperwork off the garage in the morning, but hope the detail I have given can help some.

The car wasn't new, and as such any condition would be based on it's actual mileage and year. An MoT is not a guarantee, simply the minimum standard permitted. As it is 8-9 years old, you'll be on a hiding to nothing expecting the dealership to do anything. They probably offer a 3 or 6 month warranty and after that you are on your own.

The older a car gets, the greater the cost of keeping it on the road, and this is a fact of life. These costs will increase and are only checked when you decide enough is enough and swap to something else.

Painting round the headlight has nothing to do with the alignment, which coiled be anything from a wobbly mounting to a misaligned bulb. Your dealer will fix it for you, but most certainly not for free.