Advice required please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was driving whilst using my mobile phone and was pulled over by police. whilst sat in the police car i discovered i had no MOT (I did have insurance). I recieved seperate fixed penalty notices for the phone offence and the mot offence. Stupidly (idiot) I did not pay the fixed penalty notice for having no mot nor did I produce licence, insurance etc. within 7 days.

Ive now received a summons for having no insurance (not guilty) failing to produce documents (guilty) driving whilst using phone (guilty, but already punished and paid fixed penalty). I dont know how to plead because on the documents sent to me I dont seem able to plead guilty or not guilty to seperate charges, any advice anyone??

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I may have some bad news for you. Having no MOT can invalidate your insurance so you need to check your policy. The police usually check the insurance data base so i'm a little suprised that you are being summonsed for having no insurance. Can you clarify what insurance cover you have and does it cover you to drive the vehicle you were in at the tme? Failing to produce will incur 3 points on your licence and a fine.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

It is up to the driver to provide proof of insurance which they didn't do so obviously they will be charged with the offence regardless of anything the database says.

The fact that the OP being 'charged' isn't the issue. The OP is asking about peading 'not guilty' to having no insurance. My thinking on this is that although the OP is saying he has insurance, it may not cover the vehicle he was stopped in which is why i'm asking him to clarify. The answer(s) may explain why the OP chose not to produce his/her documents.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

No points for failing to produce insurance. No insurance is 6 points.

I never said 'failing to produce insurance', I was referring to failing to produce documents!

Please Note

Still no points

I stand corrected. Apparently the max penalty is a £1000 fine. However, if the OP cannot show he had valid insurance at the time, he can expect 6 points for that offence. Then there is the MOT issue as well.

Please Note