• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Citi Cards being obstructive with SAR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Trying to get the PM box issue cleared up. Damn new site lol...

There is no advantage as the alleged account would not be near being SBd. Although you could sort of drag out admin. with them, but I, as an upstanding (mostly) member of the public, would never condone debt avoidance. The strange thing I find in dealing with such companies is that all their department have a worrying tendency in communicationg with each other, the OCs and the CRAs...How long is a piece of string ;)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ty bb, but I'm not sure if we are at cross purposes here.

Basically I'm just asking that, the OC marked my CRA file settled 05/08/2002 10 months prior to the official NoA. Which indicates to me that 05/08/2002 was in fact the REAL sale date. Unless there is another explanation for the setled marker on that date, what other reason could they have had?

LOL you must have removed the double post as I was replying and my rather more lengthy response got disappeared

The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

The NoA date has nothing to do with the original default date. Check your CRA files and get the dates ammended if they're wrong because a default on your CRA files MUST reflect the date the account was defaulted on, NOT the date they could be bothered to register it.

Sorry bb, I really appreciate the time you are taking to reply,...........but you are missing my point.

In its simplest form, my question is; Why would a creditor mark your CRA File as 'SETTLED'?

There is more to it than that, but I'll just start with that.

PS. If anyone else fells like chipping in please do, the more the merrier

Edited by Master Chief

The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

There is something funny here (not just BB and MC union which is hilarious), If a debt is sold on, the CRA does not record it as 'settled' as normally the record will just be changed to show the debt 'in default' and show it to to be in the name of the new owner. CRAs normally only record a entry for 6 years after the default date so this should actually have gone completely by now.

I still think that you should tell all these fffffers to Foxtrot off and put it behind you. BUT keep up the complaints.

My SAR has revealed one interesting thing in that Citi received a letter from a Social Services department that revealed that I was in a a very bad place and was not to be harrassed. Also that I had been recommended to apply for BR and that there was no way I could ever come to an agreement with them. What did Citi do? Immediately off load this to lowlifes and I now would be very interested to know if any of this info was passed on.

I am happy to keep the official complaints going in the hope that someone will take some action and prevent this misery from happening, again and again.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Sorry bb, I really appreciate the time you are taking to reply,...........but you are missing my point.

In it's simplest form, my question is; Why would a creditor mark your CRA File as 'SETTLED'?

There as more to it than that, but I'll just start with that.

PS. If anyone else fells like chipping in please do, the more the merrier

Because they've sold it, as in SOLD. Not just farmed it out for collection with the option of re calling it.

Hi CD, that is absolutely disgusting and 1st Credit got their knuckles rapped by the OFT for selling on 'Sensitive Cases' (OFT Requirements Feb' 2009).

As regards, CRA files I slightly disagree. What should happen according to the ICO is that the original file be updated to reflect the new owner and the OC/DCA have to decide between each other who is responsible for keeping the record updated. In reality, what seems to happen is that the OC marks the original record as 'Settled' and the new owner creates its own entry. And the ICO is fine with this provided the informaton is correct and the original default date stands. (which mine isn't, but that is a seperate matter)

In my case Citi have marked the file 'Settled' 05/08/2002, but the NoA's (which both disagree on the actual date of sale) are some 10 months later.

Without complicating things unecessarily at the moment. I would like to find out: What other possible reason would the OC have had in marking the entry 'Settled', other than because it was sold.

Suggestions on the back of a postcard welcome, but preferably on here!

MC

Edited by Master Chief

Because they've sold it, as in SOLD. Not just farmed it out for collection with the option of re calling it.

Now look at the dates:

Settled by OC 05/08/2002

NoA Citi 05/06/2003 (1st Crud 23/05/2003)

And ask, why the long delay and what has been happening with my account in the meantime?

Very suspect - will take an overworked ICO to sort this out

I disagree, I think a very overworked OFT & FOS.

Yes, OK, ICO as well, but I can deal with that later (no whoops, I'm dealing with that at the moment lol)

Now look at the dates:

Settled by OC 05/08/2002

NoA Citi 05/06/2003 (1st Crud 23/05/2003)

And ask, why the long delay and what has been happening with my account in the meantime?

OK, well I will suggest the reason I think why. CHARGES, INTEREST AND INTEREST ON CHARGES

Keep it up:razz:

Now I believe that it is correct to say that following a sale of a debt, no interest or charges can be applied until the debtor has been notified of the assignmet. i.e if a sale took place on a Monday and the debtor was informed (via NoA's) on the following Monday that no interest or charges could be applied during this period.

I'm not certain about charges, but interest would definately be a no no!

In any case, if my debt was indeed sold 05/08/2002 as the CRA file suggests, why have Citi continued to charge me overlimit charges, late fees and interest up until the NoA?

Yes, a lot of us do which is why we advise that formal complaints go to each relevant department as a matter of course. They will eventually get sick of fielding these complaints and do something.

Incidentally, the OFT issued restrictions on Aktiv Kr@pital this week.

Sadly, years too late for Beryl Brazier and her family :(

Yes, a lot of us do which is why we advise that formal complaints go to each relevant department as a matter of course. They will eventually get sick of fielding these complaints and do something.

Incidentally, the OFT issued restrictions on Aktiv Kr@pital this week.

Sadly, years too late for Beryl Brazier and her family :(

That is tragic, so awful!

Companies that think they can operate outside of the law with impunity should have their licence revoked immediately, restrictions amount to a slap on the wrist, but the damage to innocent human beings has already been done. Where is the justice?

I fully intend to take whatever information I have and use it in the most effective way that I can. However, I have to be sure of my information first and that is why I have been asking stupid questions like:

What other explanation could there be for the 'Settled' marker if not to indicate it was sold at that point?

MC

Quick question please good people of CAG.

If there is doubt as to when the actual sale took place and furthermore that 1st Crud & Citi both have different dates for the NoA's, does this bring into doubt the legality of the assigment?

i.e. the sale was not properly/legally concluded therefore it is null & void and 1st Crud do not have a legal right to perform collection activities?

Meaning they have to return the account to Citi and , possibly repay any monies collected + interest of course!

Sorry, just the grey matter working overtime!

Edited by Master Chief

Hi good people,

I realise that this is not a priority question as there is no legal action being taken at present, but I wonder if I could probe the grey matter of you banana types.

For background information I have a thread going here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?284421-1st-Crud-CCA-SAR-Failure-(also-Citi-too)-Help-Please&p=3208917#post3208917

But in essence I am trying to establish the validity of the absolute assignment of an alleged defaulted Associates Credit Card account.

I have an NoA (letter of introduction) from 1st Crud, assignment as of 23/05/2003

The NoA from the OC (Citi) dated as of 05/06/2003

1st Crud are stating that they own the account before Citi say they have sold it!

A further complication is that for this account I have a printout of my Experian credit file of Nov' 2006, which clearly shows that Citi (the OC) marked the account as 'SETTLED' 05/08/2002!

I can't think of any reason (and no one else can suggest one) as to why the the OC would mark it as settled other than; the account was paid up (which it wasn't) or it was sold.

Have I reasonable grounds to think that the sale took place much earlier than the NoA's suggest?

And based on what I have said, dates of NoA's not agreeing and the earlier settled marker; are there grounds to think that the assignment is not valid and that 1st Crud don't have a legal right to enforce/collect?

I've never received a DN or TN from Citi/Associates either.

thanks in advance

MC

Two things spring to mind straight away, first in any court case you would insist on the "deed" of assignment being produced at the hearing, and in there has been no DN/temination then the "agreement" still exists, therefore it could not have been sold on.

Thats without looking at you other thread

Send them a CCA request, if you have not already done so

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Two things spring to mind straight away, first in any court case you would insist on the "deed" of assignment being produced at the hearing, and in there has been no DN/temination then the "agreement" still exists, therefore it could not have been sold on.

Send them a CCA request, if you have not already done so

Hi CCM and thank you.

I have CCA'd the DCA, but not the OC yet. Have SAR'd both, results so far uninspiring to say the least. The CCA went into dispute 18/11, but for other reasons I have given them some extra time to produce before I send the official account in dispute letter.

With the SAR's I have written back asking for them to comply fully.

Have been looking at the massive thread re: the CPR 31.16, so maybe that would be worth a try if they continue to be awkward with the SAR's.

there has been no DN/temination then the "agreement" still exists, therefore it could not have been sold on.

An agreement can be sold regardless of the state of the account. It does not have to be terminated before it is assigned.

I have an NoA (letter of introduction) from 1st crudlink3.gif, assignment as of 23/05/2003 the NoA from the OC (Citi) dated as of 05/06/2003

It doesn't matter what the date is on the letter, all that matters is what date, if any, they say that the assignment took place.

An agreement can be sold regardless of the state of the account. It does not have to be terminated before it is assigned.

It doesn't matter what the date is on the letter, all that matters is what date, if any, they say that the assignment took place.

They both say different dates - as of the date of this letter, which are both different!

I suppose what I'm trying to get at eventually is, if the account is marked as settled 05/08/2002 by the OC then why have they continued to charge late fees, overlimit charges and interest up until March 2003.

Oh, and now I have another completely different sale/assignment date, which I didn't pick up on before. In Citi's SAR response they now say it was sold to 1st Crud March 03.

They just contradict each other all the time and it implies to me that they have been less than honest about something and I would like to know what that is.