Hfo - contacted at work

Ellfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HFO have just found me via my work place and then continued to call me on my mobile over and over again. I eventually rung them back and made an arrangement, but they asked for some very bizarre information, they wished to know:-

My NI number - I refused

My home telephone number - I refused

My card number (even though I had given them the bank details to arrange a direct debit - I refused

Please can someone tell me whether I have done the right thing and why they wanted this information?

Also, I am wondering if I should have set up an arrangement with them as there was over £2,000 added to the amount I believed I owed and they wanted to charge me a rate of 12% interest - is this legal and do I have any rights as I am the one with a debt and didn't pay it?

Please help

if you made it via a card

cancel it now

[tell the bank you've lost it]

type in HFO in our advanced search top right and have a read

they are well known for fleecing people.

they are a DCA

DCA's have no legal powers to demand money from anyone.

i'd wait for a letter rather than just coughing up .

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome

Have you paid them anything yet? You are correct to be concerned and should withhold payment until you check out exactly what they claim is owed and that they are entitled to collect.

If possible, cancel the arrangement with your bank. It is never a good idea to give a DCA your bank details, particularly this one, and if you wish to pay them, do this by other means such as a Standing Order. They are certainly not entitled to obtain your card number or NI Number, this is entirely out of order and you are right to be suspicious.

NEVER EVER speak to them on the phone (unless you are recording it or want to wind them up, like me) say 'in writing only' and hang up. There are some letters you can send them and report them to the appropriate authorities if they ring.

Can you tell us something about the debt that they claim you owe, who was it with, how old etc. Also have you received any correspondence from HFO and what was this?

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

They have absolutely no need or right to know your bank details and certainly not your NI Number. A defence against this could be that the above information could be used for identity theft/fraud. The only organisations that would need your NI number are, as a rule, your employer, the Tax Office or the DWP/Benefits Agency. It has nothing to do with alleged debts and you were right to withhold that information. A request for your NI Number is grounds for complaint based on malpractice.

If you report your bank card, my advice is to say that it's damaged, rather than lost. Most banks will supply you with a new card (different details) in 7 working days.

we need more details on this debt please.

dca's should not be adding anything to the outstanding sum

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been contacted at work by HFO - 4 times this has happened now - it is extremely embarrassing, I work in an open office. I told them they have my contact number and that they are not to contact me at work. They asked for my contact number, I told them they have it already and that they are not to contact me until after 1700 hrs, but they keep ringing me at work and then they call my mobile when I am at home, but hang up after 2 or 3 rings - this feels like harassment.

How do I stop them calling me at work first and foremost?

Please help

Hi, they are contacting me via work still - I know I owe the money, but do I write to them asking for a breakdown of the debt? I am sure it is over £1500.00 that has been added? How do I get them to stop prank calling me at home and work?

I have been contacted at work by HFO - 4 times this has happened now - it is extremely embarrassing, I work in an open office. I told them they have my contact number and that they are not to contact me at work. They asked for my contact number, I told them they have it already and that they are not to contact me until after 1700 hrs, but they keep ringing me at work and then they call my mobile when I am at home, but hang up after 2 or 3 rings - this feels like harassment.

How do I stop them calling me at work first and foremost?

Please help

Hi Ellfish

Here's the link to the Telephone Harassment letter . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

Amend to suit and add that by contacting you at work against your wishes they're in breach of of the OFT Guidelines and CSA Code of Practice . .

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

http://www.csa-uk.com/media/editor/file/Code%20of%20Practice%202009.pdf

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Hi, they are contacting me via work still - I know I owe the money, but do I write to them asking for a breakdown of the debt? I am sure it is over £1500.00 that has been added? How do I get them to stop prank calling me at home and work?

You're running two threads . . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?286095-HFO-Contacting-me-at-work(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Best to stick to one as you'll get replies in both that will repeat

R

(Have flagged this for the site team)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Ok - thank you I just couldn't locate my original thread - can I delete a thread?

Sit tight for now Ellfish as I've asked that that two threads be merged

R

• Haha 1

Two threads merged.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Revenant.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Two threads merged.

Thanks md

Much easier now

R

HFO have just found me via my work place and then continued to call me on my mobile over and over again. I eventually rung them back and made an arrangement, but they asked for some very bizarre information, they wished to know:-

My NI number - I refused . . Quite right

My home telephone number - I refused . . Right again

My card number (even though I had given them the bank details to arrange a direct debit - I refused

Get onto your Bank ASAP and tell them that you gave your details over under duress as you were contacted at work and put under pressure . . tell the Bank that under no circumstances are they to allow any debits to be take from your account and if possible flag your account accordingly

Please can someone tell me whether I have done the right thing and why they wanted this information?

Also, I am wondering if I should have set up an arrangement with them as there was over £2,000 added to the amount I believed I owed and they wanted to charge me a rate of 12% interest - is this legal and do I have any rights as I am the one with a debt and didn't pay it?

Please help

As you can see Ellfish help and advice is coming in, it'll take a good bit of reading but try not to worry

R

oh the little fleecers..

HFO are getting almost as tirsome as link financial at present.

NEVER....EVER>>>PAY A DCA ANYTHING OR TELL THEM ANY DETAILS OVER THE PHONE!!!

no excuses...end of.

dx

and they

just tidied the thread

dx

and they

Ellfish, you must make some complaints about this to Consumer Direct and OFT as they have no right to behave like this.

You must also request a copy of the credit agreement and if they do not respond, put this account in dispute. I am posting some links below but please can you tell us some more about this and who the original creditor is - this will help. Do not speak to them on the phone, tell them to sod off and tell your employer that you are receiving threatening nuisance calls from a company that has obtained your number and is trying to extort money from you. Request their help in stopping this, if they complain.

Elsa’s Blog –Self Help Guide

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/entry.php?180-Debt-Threats-a-quick-self-help-guide

Complaints

OFT&TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

OFT Guidance link

This helps when drafting a letter to OFT

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?416-The-OFT-Debt-collection-guidance

CCA Request

CCA letter to send with a £1 postal order by recorded delivery, do not sign. They have 12 plus 2 working days to reply. If nothing valid is received you can send a letter to put the account in dispute and this should stop them contacting you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?414-CCA-request-letter

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

The original creditor was Marks and Spencers.

First letter has been sent in reference to harassment by telephone - now they have obtained the landline number of my parents home.

Every time they ring my contact number they hang up after two rings!!

Thanks for the help - no doubt I shall be posting again soon!!