Claiming for wasted time after non-delivery?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in Northern Ireland and needed an item I bought off ebay collected and delivered from England.

I booked a collection/delivery with an online company.

This was to be made with dhl48, which guarantees delivery on the second day after collection.

The item was to be collected on Nov 1st and again on Nov 2nd, but the driver never turned up.

It was collected on Nov 3rd so was due to be delivered today and I took a day off work for this.

when I checked delivery status this morning, the package was still sitting in Manchester terminal.

I contacted dhl and was told there is no 48hr delivery option to Northern Ireland (why not?) and it will not be delivered until Monday 8th.

I was also told the company I booked delivery through should have made me aware of this, which they didn't.

the upshot is,

I have to take another day off work on Monday, wasting my time today and a day's leave in the process.

Is it reasonable for me to invoice the booking company for my lost time at my standard daily salary rate, as it states in their terms and conditions that if no one is at an address when the driver turns up to collect or deliver a package, the order will be cancelled and the customer will be further billed for this.

It has nothing to do with being in the UK. Many couriers refuse to deliver within the same timeframes to offshore islands, and even places with IV and high-numbered PA postcodes. There is no secret that these areas have issues for private carriers. It doesn't matter to Royal Mail, who is requirewd under its charter to provide a UK-wide service for the same cost.

Private carriers are free to deliver where they want, and surcharge for areas they deem to be not cost-effective to deliver to. NI, which requires a ferry crossing automatically will incur additional charges for non RM carriers. AS to whether you can ask for expenses for a 'late' delivery. The short answer is no, only if they don't meet their deadline, and you;ll be entitled to a rebate on the shipping fee - nothing else.