Deposit deduction - Advice please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay so me and my partner handed over the keys for the previous property we were renting on Monday, I phoned the Letting Agents to enquire whether and deductions were going to be made on our deposit, I was told that the oven needed cleaning and the house also needed cleaning (basically a hoover al over).

Although its not too much the Letting Agents are estimating the cost for this will be £100, they are quoting £40 for the oven and £60 for the cleaner.

Now the house is a typical two bed terrace, open planned living room/diner, laminate flooring throughout, except carpeted stairs. It was swept throughout and in my opinion is as clean as it was when we moved in. When I said this to the agent they said that there was dog hair in places and the banister was 'greasy'. I feel they are using the dogs as an excuse (we had written permission from the land lord to have two small dogs at the property).

I will admit that the oven was not cleaned prior to us vacating the property (the case of expecting the other to do it :-)).

The house was left tidy, in my opinion all a cleaner would have to do is through a hoover around the place. I feel £60 for this is excessive.

The inventory is poor, it does not label anything in detail, it basically just lists the contents and colour of the walls of the property, the only description of the cleanliness of the property is where it lists the hood over the cooker as 'clean' and the condition of the stairs as 'general wear and tear, slightly dirty). Could this support as dispute regarding the cleanliness of the property? (as in the inventory does not contain any images of the property prior to moving in).

Thanks!

No. You should have hoovered the whole property and certainly should have cleaned the oven. I think £100 sounds reasonable personally. Yes, you could do it in an hour or two, but they will use a professional cleaning company who will probably charge £100. I would!

As we ha laminate flooring when our previous hoover broke we did not purcgase a new one. As i said the house was sweot throughout, its not as if we just packed our bags and left. As i said i accept the quoted £40 for the oven to be cleaned. I have photos of the house prior to us vacating the property, i shall upload them when im in my PC so you can see the stae of it when we left.

Bump

Sorry, agree with Dragons Dennis. If you thought you could do it/have it done for less then I assume you had the oppurtunity?

If you feel agrevied by this modest cleaning price, then you can always raise it via the TDS arbitration process (assuming your deposit is registered).

Not sure what good up loading the pictures will be as your complaining about the cost of the work rather than disputing that the work needs doing.