Jury Service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but thought this was the most apt.

Received a notification of jury service (not a citation) informing me that my name has been selected for future selection as a juror in the Sheriff or High Court. I have personal reasons why I do not want to undertake jury service and I am aware that I could write to the Clerk of Court and ask for excusal but this is at their discretion and may not be granted. Therefore, I am looking to use my status as a nurse to be granted an excusal.

The Scottish Courts Service website is vague and doesn't specifically mention excusal for occupations. The CAB website mentions occupational excusal but not nurses specifically. Did a search on Google and came upon the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Scotland) Act 1980 which under Part III, Group D mentions nurses. The advice from the RCN is that nurses can't be excused "since changes to legislation in 2004". However, I think this refers to Schedule 33 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 which does not apply to Scotland and the advice from the RCN applies only to those nurses from England and Wales.

I can't see any superseding legislation which has rescinded the provisions in the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Scotland) Act 1980 and indeed came across the Scottish Government's consultation from 2009 titled "The Modern Scottish Jury in Criminal Trials" which was consulting on changes to excusal of occupations from juries.

I'd appreciate any confirmation from any of you learned folk that I can apply for excusal due to my status as a nurse.

Thanks in advance.

Panthro

Disclaimer: Any advice given is solely my own. I advise you seek professional advice in the first instance.

That's my take on it papasmurf as revised Acts on the legislation.gov.uk website are current and applicable.

Re: the practicing and registered component, I intend to send a photocopy of my Nursing and Midwifery Council PIN card and a letter from my employer stating I am employed in my capacity as a nurse.

Disclaimer: Any advice given is solely my own. I advise you seek professional advice in the first instance.

Seems fairly cut and dried according to THIS list

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Seems fairly cut and dried according to THIS list

Cheers sidewinder, that was the consultation document I linked to above but that was in 2008. I was wondering if they had gone ahead with any changes to legislation after the consultation ended but it appears not. Thanks anyway.