Speeding Ticket - Conflicting Police Information

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I've been given a speeding ticket for apparently doing 40miles an hour in a 30. Without preaching, I drive very cautiously and the area in question is non-residential and simply shouldn't be a 30 in my eyes (I wasn't aware that it was).

Anyway. I've logged on to "safespeedforlife" and have seen the photos of the offence. Both photos say "39mph" but all other text on that page and on my letter tells me I've been caught doing 40mph. As well as this, the photo is unclear and from behind and many of us use the car.

Is it worth me contesting this? Is this something I can realistically expect to get out of?

Many thanks for the time of anyone who replies,

Andy

Speed cameras are not 100% accurate, for instance if the car is not completely straight on to the camera the reading will be lower than the real speed. That is why they paint the lines on the road at many Gatso sites, they are at known intervals and the speed can be calculated from them with total accuracy from the distance covered in a known time.

I would not go down the "many of us use the car" unless you can prove that the car is (for instance) a pool car that is insured for anyone to use, and the keys are readily accessible. The penalty for not giving the name of the driver is 6 points, rather than the three for speeding.

The fact that the photos (presumably taken direct from the fixed camera/mobile camera) show 39mph rather than the 40mph shown on the NIP is of note insofar as this may influence whether the OP is offered a speed awareness course, assuming that such courses are offered in the area. At 40mph he is unlikely to be offered a course whereas at 39mph he will be at the upper limit based on ACPO's standard criteria of Posted Limit + 10% + 6mph. It may well be worthwhile his bringing this to their attention.