should i pay rlp? what happens if i dont? please help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Around a week ago i swapped a label at tkmaxx in crawley and was caught on cctv apprently. im 21 years old and should know better i know!! i was confronted outside the store by their security guys and i was totally honest i knew i had been caught i even offered to pay the rest and forget about it and say i was sorry, its not like im a repeat or known offender. but no they called the police and had me arrested? no need for it at all considering i admitted what i had done and offered to pay the rest!! i went to the station and recieved a police caution for fraud...... sounds very damatic. Its a week since and yesterday i recieved a letter from rlp demanding £110 within 21 days for damages?? i dont condone what i have done but £110 is an unjust demand!! will they take me to court or turn up with debt collectors if i dont pay? any advice would be helpfull! cheers

Hello there and welcome to CAG. The guys don't seem to be around at the moment, but from the little I have gleaned, you shouldn't pay anything until the guys here reply. Please have a read around the forum and see what advice other people have received, because you're by no means alone.

And it might even save the guys typing the same thing again :).

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

thanks for the quick reply, i have read around but the cases i have read about were abour people younger than me and the police were never called/involved i just wondered if these were important factors and would make any difference. Most seem to have not paid and not ended up with any court action ive read a .pdf file that JonCris uploaded to a thread from the citizens advice bureau that seems to state these are unfair demands from rlp but i just wondered, kinda paranoid as im buying a house soon an didnt want any sort of conviction against my name!. thanks again

Around a week ago i swapped a label at tkmaxx in crawley and was caught on cctv apprently. im 21 years old and should know better i know!! i was confronted outside the store by their security guys and i was totally honest i knew i had been caught i even offered to pay the rest and forget about it and say i was sorry, its not like im a repeat or known offender. but no they called the police and had me arrested? no need for it at all considering i admitted what i had done and offered to pay the rest!! i went to the station and recieved a police caution for fraud...... sounds very damatic. Its a week since and yesterday i recieved a letter from rlp demanding £110 within 21 days for damages?? i dont condone what i have done but £110 is an unjust demand!! will they take me to court or turn up with debt collectors if i dont pay? any advice would be helpfull! cheers

If you had been totally honest from the start, none of this would have happened. Most retail thieves and fraudsters offer to pay after they have been caught, why should the store accept that? Your caution is dramatic!, you now have a police record which may show up on a CRB check. If you apply for any jobs which require this check, you best keep your fingers crossed that the police have been a bit too busy to enter your data. As for RLP, make them an offer, pay it, and move on.

sorry disagree

you are under no obligation to pay rlp.

scamvoice

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for the advice dx100uk!

I'd like to know to. I was feeling down. Went to 2 queues which were taking ages then stupidly walked out. Have to go where i'll get a caution and then will have to pay civil recovery to store. What is the procedure as I don't know. I'm ashamed and wish I could turn the clock back. How much will it be and do I have to pay? Can I appeal the amount if there are possible medical grounds?

Up to you-our advice on here has always been not to pay them.....as you will have read in many many threads.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Up to you-our advice on here has always been not to pay them.....as you will have read in many many threads.

dx

But can they take me to court? Give me a CCJ? This was my first time. I looked at a queue which was sooo slow- went to the other dept and looked and it was so long and to a stupid whim and walked out. My concern is that I had lots of little items and they will add more- i asked how much it was and was told ' security are sorting that'. How do I know they won't add things on as security person was so rude. The policeman told me not to worry- they have no skills as they don't see us as humans.

What are the consequences of me not paying? This incident happened yesterday, I have to make a statement in a few weeks.

Can some-one please pm me who I can talk to in confidence?

there are no cases of that actually happening.

what statement and to whom?

dx

and they

accept the caution

as for the rlp:

dx

and they

Thank you, I will accept the caution but the store claim they have seen me before- and the bill will be high. The goods were apparently £100 and I thought that they should have added the value up in front of me. Security person was so rude to me. I said I was sorry and that I would pay- it said, bet you will and rest. You come in this store alot and it'll be a lot more.'

I just want to now what happens if I accept the caution and what civil recovery can do if I don't pay? I thought it was a legal debt that had to be paid. I am so confused.

many people here call them scaminvoices, just like the private parking tickets and the acs:law downloading of copyrighted material 'fines'

they are not fines... however

i'll leave you to do some reading up in this forum

dx

and they