• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CSL sending all manner of threats on old Joint Bank Account debt

pinkrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, got back from a break away to find another letter from CSL.

It says that they have delayed legal action because they understand people suffer financial problems.

They say the debt won't go away and that they just want my partner to pay for the goods he obtained.

(As the debt is not for goods obtained, i'm thinking they don't know what the debt is from)

They want a payment sent NOW, unfortunately the letter is 11 days old.

If we ignore they will assume they we don't intend to pay and that legal action will be the only course we leave them with.

What now?

I would continue to ignore it. They're going round in circles - back to where they were in December when they were going to court in 7 days!

Can you work out how long it is since the joint account was last used? If 6 years or more then any debt is SB. If near that then try to sit it out till then.

By referring to "goods" your partner is "understandably now certain the letters are not for him", as he bought no goods on credit from them!

BD

Thanks BD, he thinks the debt is around 5 years old so getting close.

CSL don't seem to know what he owes the debt for

so i'm thinking that they haven't actually bought the debt else they would know wouldn't they?

Will carry on ignoring and keep you informed :-)

Every letter has given 7 days but they never carry out what they say.

I think this about the 6 or 7th one.

CSL tend to be just a DCA - i.e. they don't buy the debt - and probably won't have any paperwork - so haven't a clue what the debt is all about.

Given you've only a year or so to wait (try to find out - but without alerting CSL or LTSB - so you know exactly how long you have ot wait) - then I would hold out as long as possible - but if it looks as if they WILL go to Court - then that's the time to ask for CCA etc. I think once they initiate court proceedings the SB clock stops - so important to avoid that happening by being "seen" to co-operate at the 11th hour - but only then - I doubt if you're even at the 9th hour yet!

If they haven't bought the debt (absolute assignment) then they CAN'T take you to court unless along with the OC. Any NOA needs to be sent recorded delivery to be effective - so be careful if you ever get asked to sign for an RD letter from them! Howver this is VERY unlikely to happen as they tend to screw these things up too.

BD

ignore totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX

Normally I'd agree 100% with you - but in this case I'm not so sure.

What if the OC and/or DCA go to court when the debt is only a few months or weeks away from SB? I think that would stop the SB coming into effect?

If so at that point surely it's worth starting the CCA and then the "prove it" routine - to hold them up long enough to get over the 6 year line?

I'm not sure that the lack of a CCA at the time the court case is scheduled and/or no proven NOA delivery would be enough to keep the SB clock ticking and get the case thrown out - so avoiding/delaying court action then is the safest option.

If you don't agree can you tell us what's wrong with my suggested approach?

BD

mainly on posts 14+15

its obv that they know its all charges/ppi or un-en

they are chancing their arm.

they know if it ever went to court there would be a counter claim.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX

Your assumptions on 14 and 15 could be right - but I think my stalling tactics are safer in the final few months before SB kicks in anyway - any court case is always a risk - especially nowadays with so may creditor-friendly judges.

BD

hi all, got back from a break away to find another letter from CSL.

It says that they have delayed legal action because they understand people suffer financial problems.

They say the debt won't go away and that they just want my partner to pay for the goods he obtained.

(As the debt is not for goods obtained, i'm thinking they don't know what the debt is from)

They want a payment sent NOW, unfortunately the letter is 11 days old.

If we ignore they will assume they we don't intend to pay and that legal action will be the only course we

leave them with.

What now?

I got that one as well

I can't remember if it was before or after 'we will not tolerate any more delays'

but it was certainly before another threat of legal action in 7 days which was followed by nothing

as DX suggested based on CSLs usual behaviour you can probably safely ignore that

I haven't seen too many cases where anyone other than **** took people to court on behalf of LLoyds TSB

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

I still jave Iqor sending letters every couple of weeks or so but they don't seem to be escalating their threats as yet - bit dull really

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

• 4 weeks later...

Well i've not heard anything from CSL for a month now

but a letter has just arrived from Moorcroft,

had dealings from them a long while back about an Orange mobile account my daughter defaulted on,

i ended up paying it for her :(.

not sure sure if this is same debt from lloyds as the ref. no is different.

Don't know if it should be the same,

its asking my partner to confirm whether he is the Mr XXX they are looking for regarding a personal matter.

They want him to ring if he is and if he is not to contact them and let them know.

It is only in his name and not his estranged wifes name.

Hope its not another debt :(

I'm gonna ignore it, yes?

I would ignore it. He has no obligation to confirm to them who he is or otherwise. It might be CSL got bored and Moorcroft has picked it up now. If so, that's good news - it tends to suggest they CAN'T do anything stronger.

I got a rather cheeky letter totally out of the blue just the other today from CSL's DEBT ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (based in the same famous Old Court House) writing on behalf of "their client" stating " We DEMAND that the sum stated be sent direct to this office IMMEDIATELY...." As if I'm just going to write them a huge cheque because they DEMAND I do so!

Their threat if I don't? "Failure to comply could result in a DEBT COLLECTOR calling upon you for payment" OK - that's fine - I'll have the cheque ready for him and save the postage! :roll:

The key thing is that it looks as if they (so far) are not able or willing to go to Court. I am still waiting on the DCA who claims to have bought the debt providing the CCA, statements etc.

I also had a look at my Credit File recently and this loan is showing as "satisfied" and a £0 balance from early last year. I realise this will just reflect teh fact the DCA bought it - but there is no matchimg debt showing as owed to the DCA - but of course I have never authorised the DCA to report any debts, payments, defaults etc. to the CRA's. I also see a number of the F&F short settlements I did earlier are showing as "settled" with £0 balances - but others are just not there at all - not sure why not.

This seems to throw up some interesting points.

1. CSL are using their ENFORCEMENT division when the debt can't be enforced because the S77/78 provisions of the CCA 1974 haven't yet been met.

2. The DCA who bought it has farmed it out very promptly - but doesn't seem to have any stronger ammo to use - and still is not even threatening a "we may go to court" - possibly since he knows he can't satisfy S 77/78?

3. Not sure how I could use the fact the OC's debt is shown as "satisfied" to my advantage?

4. Please to see F&F's showing £0 balances and nothing about short settlements.

Looking forward to further developments!

BD

Thanks BD for replying and letting me know how its going for you. If i hadn't found this site and the people i would really be worrying.

Its a lovely sunny afternoon, enjoy :)

Incidentally

I just remembered the last time I kicked CSL into touch was via e-mail when they were chasing a Capital One "debt" where the balance of default charges plus interest was actually more than the balance being chased. Thye were a bit confused when I asked them how much they would charge me to chase up Capital One to repay what they OWED me!

Anyway if anyone wants to e-mail CSL (cheaper and faster than writing) the address is [email protected] Put on a "read receipt" as you'll not be likely to get a response - but in my case it was enough to make them go away that time - about to use the same tactics again now.

BD

• 2 weeks later...

HI :),

Have now received a 2nd letter from Moorcroft and discovered that this is for a different debt from the Lloyds one.

It says it is in regards to a debt from Arrow Global,

its only a fairly small amount with threats of court fees and other charges to be added on if not paid.

My partner never received any letters from Arrow Global so they must of passed it to Moorceroft

to see if they have any luck.

The debt could possibly be one obtained for a friend of his where he used his name and they defaulted.

Other than pestering the friend to pay this debt, what is the alternative?

Shall i ignore this one like the Lloyds?

Have still not heard anything from CSL though, thanks for any help.

this is just normal phishing list behaviour

arrow global are a dca so are moorcrap..

they think they can fool you........

guess what....until they post something concrete other than threat-o-grams - ignore

dx

and they

I would ignore it. He has no obligation to confirm to them who he is or otherwise. It might be CSL got bored and Moorcroft has picked it up now. If so, that's good news - it tends to suggest they CAN'T do anything stronger.

I got a rather cheeky letter totally out of the blue just the other today from CSL's DEBT ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (based in the same famous Old Court House) writing on behalf of "their client" stating " We DEMAND that the sum stated be sent direct to this office IMMEDIATELY...." As if I'm just going to write them a huge cheque because they DEMAND I do so!

Their threat if I don't? "Failure to comply could result in a DEBT COLLECTOR calling upon you for payment" OK - that's fine - I'll have the cheque ready for him and save the postage! :roll:

The key thing is that it looks as if they (so far) are not able or willing to go to Court. I am still waiting on the DCA who claims to have bought the debt providing the CCA, statements etc.

I also had a look at my Credit File recently and this loan is showing as "satisfied" and a £0 balance from early last year. I realise this will just reflect teh fact the DCA bought it - but there is no matchimg debt showing as owed to the DCA - but of course I have never authorised the DCA to report any debts, payments, defaults etc. to the CRA's. I also see a number of the F&F short settlements I did earlier are showing as "settled" with £0 balances - but others are just not there at all - not sure why not.

This seems to throw up some interesting points.

1. CSL are using their ENFORCEMENT division when the debt can't be enforced because the S77/78 provisions of the CCA 1974 haven't yet been met.

2. The DCA who bought it has farmed it out very promptly - but doesn't seem to have any stronger ammo to use - and still is not even threatening a "we may go to court" - possibly since he knows he can't satisfy S 77/78?

3. Not sure how I could use the fact the OC's debt is shown as "satisfied" to my advantage?

4. Please to see F&F's showing £0 balances and nothing about short settlements.

Looking forward to further developments!

BD

I just received exactly the same as above! in 18 months my Barclaycard problem has been through Mercers, Calders, Moorcroft, can't remember the next one!, Westcot and now CSL. Another 12 months at this rate and I'll have been through every DCA in the UK!

A letter has arrived today from a DCA called Wescot, looks like the Lloyds debt has been passed over to them. Apparently we must pay the full amount or contact them or they will take further action. :shock:

I did a 50% F&F with Wescott for a Lloyds TSB Visa card balance about two years ago. That was after not paying Loyds a bean fort about two years previously.

I believe Wescott are in some financial trouble themselves at present?

BD

PS - Can anyone confirm if Credit Solutions Ltd and Credit Services Ltd are the same - or if they are totally different DCA's ? I know Credit Services and Call Serve are the same lot - but not so sure about Credit Solutions now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a very interesting offer from Credit Security Ltd (on pink paper) offering me a 35% F&F on a debt of around £8k. I have ignored every previoius letter and this just came out of the blue - they also say their next step will be a "door step agent" so I'm really really scared! :wink:

:roll:

Before finding CAG I would have taken this offer up (as I never managed to get anything lower accepted) - but now I interpret this as evidence they DON'T have an enforceable CCA - so I'll just wait and see what happens next.

Has anyone else any experience of ignoring such a letter and what happens next?

BD

I've just had a very interesting offer from Credit Security Ltd (on pink paper) offering me a 35% F&F on a debt of around £8k. I have ignored every previoius letter and this just came out of the blue - they also say their next step will be a "door step agent" so I'm really really scared! :wink:

:roll:

Before finding CAG I would have taken this offer up (as I never managed to get anything lower accepted) - but now I interpret this as evidence they DON'T have an enforceable CCA - so I'll just wait and see what happens next.

Has anyone else any experience of ignoring such a letter and what happens next?

BD

Hi BD,

No such tantalising offers coming my way as yet! I did have a 25% reduction offer from one DCA regarding a Cap One account, quickly followed by a demand for the full balance by the next. It was probably a pathetic attempt to get me to contact them.