• Tweets

• Insurance companies do not issue NIPs. Only the police do that. They may ask you who was driving, but that's not a NIP..   There are two issues here: the criminal matter of driving without insurance and the civil matter of liability to pay for the damage caused. They are completely separate.   For the criminal matter to be pursued the police will have to issue you with a "Section 172" request for driver's details. This is the only request that you are required by law to respond to. Failure to do so is an offence which attracts six points. For information, no NIP is required for the offence of No Insurance anyway.   In the unlikely event that you do see action for driving without insurance, from what you have said I believe you have a reasonable case to argue that "Special Reasons" exist not to endorse your licence. You were provided with a courtesy car by a motor trader and it is reasonable to expect that Third Party insurance as a minimum is arranged by the trader, especially as you had been informed in the past that cover was provided. Not all motor policies provide a "driving other cars" extension and it is unwise of the trader to rely on this. At the very least you should have been told that no cover exists. If you are prosecuted the trader should be prosecuted as well for permitting you to drive his car uninsured.   The question of civil liability towards the Third Party is not so straightforward. There is firstly the question of who is at fault and it's never easy to determine that from brief descriptions. If it turns out to be the TP's fault that is no problem for you; the trader can sort that out himself. If you are liable completely or partly you do have a problem because you are uninsured. Your "reasonable expectation" that cover was in place should come into play but civil courts operate on a different basis to criminal courts and I am not quite sure how that would pan out.  
    • Heres the default letter.  Had a really hard time getting any kind of quality.  I hope it's readable.     I asked about an extension earlier in the year and after not receiving a reply for months I called.  Over the phone I was told that it would be £200 plus £15 for every month that I needed the extension.  That's what I expected when the 12 months came- hence my surprise when I was told I wasn't eligible.  After fighting to get an extension they asked for medical evidence; which I provided.  That's when they offered me the extension for £340 (for 4 months only).   I'm way beyond cancelling the course.  This is an ongoing issue because I refused to pay them for so long.  When the course was taken away from me after the 12 months I decided to enrol in University because I wanted to get some kind of qualifications.  I told them this and that my student loans barely covered my living expenses- they didn't care, they just wanted me to pay.  Due to financial pressures I dropped out of University to find work and here I am now.   I wish I paid more attention to the one star reviews.  They're always flaunting their high rating on trustpilot- which is what made me think they were a good option at the time.  But looking closer at the reviews, there are almost no 2, 3, or 4 star reviews. Their one star reviews all sound very reminiscent to my experience with them.  Their 5 star reviews are numerous enough to keep their ratings high but I can't help but get a feeling that they're all false.  In fact a lot of the 5 star reviews are straight up lies- some of them say things like you can take as long as you need to finish the course.  I wonder if there's any way of finding out if they purchase good reviews in order to trick people into thinking their course is anything more than pages and pages of text files.   Thank you for looking at this everyone.  You've been really helpful.  Way more helpful than the Ombudsman who completely brushed me (and someone who went through a similar problem with the training room) off.   I'll send the SAR request shortly.   PS: @mantis shrimp the Lender IS the Training room.  Or more specifically TTR PT LTD png2pdf.pdf
    • Consider deleting the PS about the bill. Let the solicitor chase his client for the unpaid bill.   Make sure the other party knows in about 6 weeks time that the bill was sent to you, perhaps with a 'raised eyebrow' type comment about the amount. 
    • Manxman in Exile, you don't mess about!  I was in for some light sarcasm, but you're giving the solicitor both barrels!   I think it is important something is sent to put the solicitor on the back foot.   See what others think over the weekend, and especially it's up to simeon who will know exactly how things stand with the solicitor and the appropriate level of the fightback.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Help with UK debt - Living in Canada

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all,

I am looking for advice on how to deal with some debt problems I am having with my UK credit card accounts. I moved to Canada last year, and have been managing to make payment each month on 3 Uk credit card accounts. However due to a recent change in circumstances, I will not be able to continue make any payments to the account.

I am aware that they cannot pursue me for my debt in Canada if I am a non-resident of the uk, 1st question is how do I prove this if they attempt to contact me? If i used the card whilst in Canada, would this affect any way in which they can pursue me?

Also, all my cards are still registered to old address in UK - so how will they even know where I am now? Would my

Should I try calling them to see if there is anything that can be done rather than me just stop making my payments?

I have no home or assets (i.e. car) in Canada, so even if they did try to come after me, I have nothing for them!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

N