Debt following death - advice needed

andrneat1962

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to obtain advice to help my mother following my step-father's death.

My mother and step-father were married but had been living in separate properties for 2 years as it became impossible for them to live together as my step-father became very difficult to live with. They kept in contact and due to his ill health my mother remained his carer as he had no other family to help him.

My mother has a catalogue with Empire Stores and she let my step-father order goods for his home from this catalogue and they were delivered to his home address. He paid for this items 4-weekly but there is money left to pay. The catalogue do not operate a facility for customer accounts so all purchases are under my mother's name and then the relevant customers pay for their goods.

Would my mother be held responsible for the items my step-father ordered or as they were delivered to him would the monies owed be deleted from her account. He has no assets and no money in his estate.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this situation.

Many thanks.

In my opinion your Mother is responsible for the account as she acted in the same way as a guarantor.

If there was an agreement between her and your step-father which was reduced to writing she could make a claim on any estate to cover the "debt" but I suspect that this has not happened in this case and, with him being defunct of any assets, would be a waste of time.

You could try writing to the catalogue company to get their opinion but I wouldn't hold my breath - they just want their money back.