d1g1d0g

Long held Barclaycard & PPI

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3563 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I have had my Barclaycard since approximately 1994 and as far as I can recall, have always paid the balance in full each month on the due date. During that time I have had Payment Protection Insurance automatically debited from my account each month.

I have been absent from work on sick leave since May 2010 and recently reduced to half pay. As finances were running tight I decided to see if I could make a claim through my Barclaycard PPI, something I have never had to do before. I phoned Barclaycard who in turn referred me to their Insurance department. I explained my predicament ie off sick, about to go on to half pay, finding finances a bit difficult and though I paid my balance in full each month, would I be able to make a claim? I was told paying the balance each month was immaterial, that I would be entitled to claim and was subsequently directed to the relevant form on their website. This included a medical statement from my GP which entailed a £30 fee that I paid and once the documents were completed, I dispatched them and awaited an outcome.

The outcome was not what I was expecting. I received a call informing me that I am not entitled to any payments as at the date of my claim, my account was actually in credit (an item refund). The representative also confirmed that had my account been a zero balance as a result of full clearance, I would still not have been able to make a claim.

Why have I been paying PPI all this time? Can I get this money reimbursed? It has been my choice to pay each month's balance off in full to avoid charges and at times it has been difficult: it would have been a lot easier had I not been paying for PPI that is, in effect, useless.

Can anyone advise me please? I cannot currently find any references to similar disputes that might assist.

Many thanks

d1g,

Sounds to me like the PPI has in effect a complete waste of money in your circumstances and therefore should be reclaimed.

In order to submit a reclaim, you will need to calculate the amount of PPI paid each month from date of inception. Do you have all your statements going back this far?

If not it may be difficult to obtain this information, as I know from personal experience Barclays will only provide 6 years worth of statements through a Subject Access Request.

However, if you do not have your statements, I suggest you submit a SAR to barclaycard and even if they do only provide 6 years worth, you can calculate an average monthly charge from the statements you do receive and submit this charge for the months you do not have statements for.

If you do decide to submit an SAR, have a look at the sticky on the PPI homepage entitled "full sar for ppi" This will give you all the information you need in order to make the request.

In the off chance you do have the statements already, check them for the monthly charge for PPI each month and enter this info including the date of charge onto an excel spreadsheet. You can then post the spreadsheet and one of us will be able to have a look and help you to calculate the interest you are entitled to reclaim.

I have had 2 successful claims against Barclaycard. Not the most co-operative at first, but the important thing is to be persistent and not to give up, nor accept their first offer.

Let us know where you stand with the statements you have.

Good luck

DJ

DJ

Many thanks for that advice. Have had a quick look and it appears I have statements going back to 1999 - not sure if there are any more lurking about but I suspect not. I will start to compile a spreadsheet today.

D1g

D1g,

That will be more than enough statements.

If you enter the monthly charge and date of charge in a spreadsheet I will help you with the calculations.

We will also calculate an average monthly charge from the statements you do have, to cover the statements you don't have.

DJ

I hope no one minds me jumping into this thread but I'm in a similar position and have asked MBNA for my PPI charges but so far they are not forthcoming. I have back to Feb 2006 which came in my original SAR from 3 months ago. I asked for further info going back to 1994 and as usual heard nothing for about a month then had a letter saying they were looking into it and would write within 40 days of the letter I sent. Bearing in the 40 days were virtually up by the time I received that letter!!

I've put together a spreadsheet of my known PPI charges and have averaged those and applied to all the unknown dates back to 1994 but I'm a bit at a loss as far as the interest goes as I only have very recent statements which show a rate of 1.4566% and I'm not really sure what to do next :( Any help and pointers much appreciated :D

Smoothhound,

You need to start you own thread. Will help us to tailor advise/suggestions to your own case.

DJ