VRM recorded as a Total Loss

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3610 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

About to buy a car, I went for a viewing at night but was satisfied with what I saw, the mileage was exceptionally low. I put down a deposit of £200 and the car was priced at £2400.

In the mean time I did an HPI check and the result was Cat - C Vehicle extensively damaged but repairable - the isurer decided not to repair,

It has had its VIC done and has passed - has an road tax till Feb 2011

The mileage is showing 5600 and from the HPI it say 115,000 BIG BIG difference.

Does anyone know why this will be? will this be the case if the engine was changed or this is simply a case of clocking the mileage.

I need to get some more info from the V5 to complete my HPI check.

What do you guys think from your experience? I am not too bothered its been repaired but the mileage is a cause for concern.

Edited by fro

Not sure what you mean by 'bordered', but my advice is ask for your deposit back and walk away.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks I meant bothered - just spoke to a colleague and he advise the same. Wow I thought what a bargain but seem to good to be true. Paying him a visit tonight

I went see the dealer after work yesterday and got my deposit back - he was showing me the MOT details for the car online and the last MOT In Feb 2010 was 11k - on the HPI i did it said National Mileage Register recorded by DVLA 115000 that was in July 2010 - I think there is a mistake on DVLA's part here or the HPI is wrong. Maybe they meant 11,500 in July 2010.

anyway that aside the car is now showing 5,600 on the dashboard which mean its been rolled back atleast 6000 miles but the VIC was done and passed in sept 2010.

I don't know what I am asking here but what are your thoughts?

What are the implications of buying a car such as this - seeing the mileage doesn't match its last MOT