Orange Phone - Please help. :(

AlphaKitty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, I need a little bit of help as I'm at a loss at what to do.

Over two years ago, I decided to get a contract phone. After much searching, I decided to get a Samsung Pixon for £35 a month with Orange. It was an 18 month contract and there was supposedly no hidden fee.

Now it was an 18 month contract, which randomly changed to 24 without me knowing. I only found out about this because I was looking forward to trading it in for a new phone and a new contract, I logged into my account and saw that it was a 24 month contract so thought I must have been mistaken. Anyway, 4 months on, the phone breaks for no reason, I decided to just pay the last two months off and then the contract would be ended. I took out a new phone with 02 instead and everything has been fine. Yay.

Now here comes the tricky part, I cancelled the direct debit and didn't hear from Orange again for a month, they sent me a letter telling me they'd found out the direct debit had been cancelled and I needed to pay them £45 for one month.

I sent them an email and said I don't see why I should have to pay for something that I hadn't used in over two months, and not only that, but the contract I was in had actually ended. I mentioned that they'd changed my contract from 18 months to 24, and also stated that they'd been charging me £10 extra a month.

I got a letter back that ignored everything I had said, apart from them stating it was an 18 month contract. If this is the case, the contract should have ended over a year ago, and I've been paying far too much anyway. All they said in the letter is I would have to pay or they'd hand it over to debt collectors.

I am absolutely fed up with them, I really don't see how it's fair that they can keep charging people once the contract is ended and not only that, but get away with charging more money then was agreed. Like I said, I haven't used the phone at all. The Orange Sim Card isn't even it anymore, which just confuses me more. If I'd been using it as say, a very expensive alarm clock, then I could maybe under that the extra £10 might be something random, IDK.

I was just wondering what to do, I don't have the money to pay them, and as I said, I don't see why I should pay them anything considering how much they'd had off of me already. :/

The problem you've got here is strictly Orange haven't done anything wrong, your required to provide notice to them that your cancelling the contract and until such time that you do they will continue to bill you, this is what your contract says.

Cancellation of your direct debit is not cancellation of your contract and unless you specifically told them to cancel the contract they'd be well within your rights to carry on billing you. You may be able to negotiate a partial payment in settlement of what they say you owe, but you need to do this ASAP as this will be having a big effect on your credit rating.

Hi Alpha

Welcome to CAG

Hi Kitty if you've got an 18 month contract, thats what it should be, it shouldn't suddenly change to 24 months. After the 18 month

contract it should just be the case of a 'Rolling' one month contract, Until cancelled. I would send [email protected],

he's the CEO of Orange, mark the E-mail Formal Letter of Complaint. Explain everything thats gone on. See what the response is.

Let us know what happens.