DVLA lose in court again

Mark26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received the standard failing to notify letter offering an out of court settlement for £55 reduced to £35 if paid immediately. I wrote to DVLA enclosing a copy of the original letter that had been sent them, they then replied quoting the law about notifying forthwith but in the last paragraph of the letter stated categorically that no such letter had been received at the Centre.

I then engaged in letter ping pong until I got bored and each of their letters stated the same. I arrived at court at the beginning of October, where I was told by the court that the DVLA now accepted that they had received my letter but it wasn t immediate, the case was adjourned.

I have been back to court today and told the magistrates that I wasn t happy with the DVLA evidence as they had not included the fact that they had a copy of the letter received by them 12 days following the transfer, I had in fact sent it first class 7 days following the transfer, with the pre court documents. I then argued that if it was to be immediate the DVLA should accept electronic mail and that the onus was on me to reply immediately but the DVLA want 20 days to notify you back by which time you would be unable to comply with the fortwith clause. Incidentally I still haven t received notification of them 6 months later.

I suggested that if it was meant to be immediate the DVLA should specify within 48 hrs recorded delivery and then notify back the same. The snotty Clerk of Court then said perhaps I should write to my MP to get the law changed, I replied that I would be doing just that and highlighting the shortcomings of the DVLA at every opportunity whatever the outcome of the case. The case was dismissed and I was so pleased I forgot to pursue the costs.

The costs are worth it just for the pleasure of seeing the look on Mr DVLA s face along with that of the snotty clerk

Another win for the little man

I also pointed out to the court that if the DVLA had actually received the letter, then they were trying to extort the £55 out of court settlement from me. This didn t go down well with Mr DVLA but raised a smile with the magistrates who then had to sit through a whole day of DVLA fund raising