Mackenzie Hall Letter - What Action Should I take Now? Please Help!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I received a letter yet again from this Debt Collection Company - Mackenzie Hall. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW? [/b Please Advice. Thanks.

As far as I can remember, I do not owe any debt to this company. Previously I had matters from others debt agency but managed to get them all sorted by with the help from this Forum. All those previously alleged debts has now been cleared despite having to attend court on several occasions,that was in 2008 or thereabout.

This letter came from Mackenzie Hall a couple of weeks ago. The letter writes:

Dear XXX,

We are attempting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter.We have been provided your address as being the possible residential details for our subject.

Therefore if you are the person above, then please contact our office immediately on telephone 0844 411 5630*quoting reference numberXXXXXX. whereupon further detailed information can be provided.

If however you are not the person named above and/or have information regarding the persons possible whereabouts, please contact our investigation team in confidence on the alternative telephone number or email address below.

Tel: 0844 411 5630*

Address ID: xxxxx

Email: [email protected](Subject: Not known/Goenaway)

We are looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Jayne Kasper

Mackenzie Hall Ltd

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi bob

If Mackhall continue to write just send the a basic no acknowledgement letter and remind them that are already under OFT Requirements re chasing disputed debts

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/requirements.pdf

You'll find a section that refers to chasing someone when they're not sure

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Dont forget to report them to Alan Stewart at East Ayrshire Trading Standards... their letter leaves a lot to be desired, either way if you contact them they will pass the info onto their mates, the CRAs and you will end up with problems on your credit file because of this.

It is a crazy system which allows the continuing collection and reporting of data way beyond reason.

Now what! Do I I simply IGNORE this letter and not reply to Mackenzie?

And if I wrote to complain to OFT and this person Alan Steward (East Ayrshire Trading Standard)- Is there a template letter? or a guidance letter? for this particular purpose.

I am unsure that if I ignore then they will continue writing and then take court action against me. This is a worrying issue for me as in the past, this is what other debt collection agency has done by putting a Charge on the Property or issuing court claims. Those was very unpleasant experiences which happened in the past.

Please continue advising so I know what EXACTLY that is needed to be done in order to get this matter closed!

Many thanks ALL:)) Greatly Appreciated.

Now that you have had this letter, you will probably get more communications from you. If they can find a landline telephone and/or mobile you may start to receive calls or messages.

Debts do float around the collection system, so this could well be a debt you thought had been resolved awhile ago.

Suggest that you check your credit records with the CRA's. Experian, Equifax and Call Credit all offer free trials, if you remember to cancel. Records do vary, so worth checking all. MH will have found your new address via the CRA's so don't worry about them picking up any information following your checking of the records.

Also check the records for any CCJ. If you have moved, it is possible that one was obtained by default using an old address. http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

Once you have checked the records, then wait for MH to contact you again with a proper letter setting out details of the debt they are chasing. Keep things in writing only. Never discuss on the phone.

No point complaining to Trading Standards yet. See how things develop. You never know, they might not contact you again.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The reason I said not to reply is because it is clearly a phishing trip. They're asking you to confirm who you are and if you do so; either by phone or by letter, you'd be playing into their hands. Creditors/DCAs are unlikely to go straight to court after such correspondence because they don't know who they're sueing.... If you've been taken to court in the past, the it's likely to be after much more specific correspondence which was either ignored, delayed or lost in the post... in which case you could have gone for a set-aside on the latter 2 grounds.

My advice would be to ignore this particular correspondence until/unless you get something more specific. I have had several of these kind of things over the years (one from Mack Hall) and no further contact.

One last thing.... if you check your credit file, they'll be all over you like a rash because you're "inadvertently" confirming who you are to the CRA... which they can access.... so don't. Not yet anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

received another letter today from MH. letter writes:

Dear xx

This notice is being given to you as required by the Consumer credit Credit Act 1974 because you fell behindwith your payments under this agreement with your original creditor.

Statement xxx

Please note that the statement may include payments which are yet to clear and may be removed should they fail to do so.Any recent payments not yet showon the statements. Should you have any other queries regarding the above account, please contact our customer relations departments on 0844 411 5630.

yours sincerely

Craig Bryant

MH

PLEASE advise what do I do now? As far as I can remember I do not owe any debt. There has been previously but they were all clear and sorted by the Courts (Statute Barred > than 6 years with no contact and communications)

I am feeling really uncomfortable and stress over this and think this is all starting all over again.

CAN I write them a CCA letter requesting for full details about this allege debt which I do not even remember or Shall I write a letter regarding Statute Barred.

PLEASE HELP!

Bob

Statute Barred letter, if its over 6 years old send it off and forget about, they cannot do anything, they cannot make your credit file, no defaults no CCJ's nothing, they cannot take you to court, you can statute barred and bin all the letters from them.

Dont worry about it. legally they are fooked, if they keep sending letters call complain about them to trading standards, some guy called Alan, cant remember his surname, but search for these cowboys on here and theres a thread about them getting ass kicked by trading standards, write off to him about them harrassing you.

i would not reply to mucky hall

use the TS route

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Mackenzie hall appear to have an aversion to responding to letters that don't contain money or offers to pay. Yet under the terms of their Consumer Credit Licence they must deal with any disputes. Send them the statute barred letter as suggested by recorded delivery and sit back and forget about them. If they continue to send you letters or make calls etc report them to all the relevant authorities. Have no qualms about doing so because they certainly wouldn't think twice about harrassing you.

Yes I agree that you should send the statute barred letter by recorded. Then if they continue to hassle you inform Trading Standards.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/item_detail.asp?UIN=1492

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

dx110uk

i would not reply to mucky hall

use the TS route

dx

I am getting mixed suggestions? Do I just write to TS (address and name please?) and just enclose letters that MH is harassing me. Then what? I do not write to MH with a CCA requesting full details about alleged debt and if any is statute barred as alleged debt has been over the 6 years without any form of communications.

HELP Again please. :))

Bob

You need to be able to show Trading Standards, the Office of Fair Trading and the Financial Ombudsman that Mackenzie Hall have been ignoring your letters and that they are continuing to chase a statute barred debt. As I said earlier they do not reply to letters that don't containcash or promises of cash. Sending letters by recorded costs about £1 but is worth much more if these cretins continue to send you letters demanding money for an account you know is statute barred and which you have told them is statute barred. In this way they are digging their own grave. But you must be able to show the authorities that you have told them.

look in the library top left tab

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is the letter drafted put to MH stating that allege debt is statute barred and requesting for information on the allege debt. PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE. MANY THANKS. :) Bob

My Name and address

MH and Address

Re: xxxxx

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number,which you claim is owe by me.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 states that " an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from which the date on which the cause of action accrued ".

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that, " it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period ".

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contract from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you no longer be able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that, " continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to Section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act1970".

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

I look forward to your reply.

yours faithfully,

Name BUT NO SIGNATURE

Please advise if this letter is acceptable or if I need to add anything else. Thanks again.

Hi All,

Found the library and rewrote letter - is this acceptable? or could post #22 sufficient? Thanks. This will be my first letter written to them.

(Address)

(Date)

Dear Sir / Madam

For the purposes of clarity and the avoidance of doubt, please take careful note of the following :

1. This letter is sent to you to avoid any “miscommunication” and to give an unequivocal statement of intent.

2. This letter does not acknowledge any debt owed to you or your affiliates, agents, owners or otherwise.

3. I understand this debt was last acknowledged over 6 years ago and falls within the remit of s.5 of the Limitation Act 1980 (which, in case you need reminding, states that an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after 6 years from the date on which the cause of action occurred).

4. I am now of the view that your actions are of pure harrassment and in breach of CPUTR 2008 in line with the Office Of Fair Tradings guidance on debt collection.

6. The same guidance states it is unfair to pursue a payment after a debtor has already stated they will not be paying due to it being statute barred. I am informing you once again, that even if the debt were mine, I would not pay it.

7. I am sure you are also aware of the provisions of the Protection from Harrassment Act, which makes it an offence to harass a person with a demand for payment, or concerting with others to do the same. Whilst the Act provides relief, it is available only where it is permissible in law to take the offending action (which, as pointed out, it is not lawful as it is statute barred), as well as that action being reasonable.

yours faithfully,

Name but NO Signature

If this letter (Post #23) is acceptable I will send it instead of letter in post #22. Thanks for help.

TBH re-reading this situation

as you know nothing about what debt this may relate too

pers i'd not send anything

let them play their cards and p'haps real what debt they are going on about

sit tight

dx

and they