Jump to content

Permitted work on IB? Pls advise if you can


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, I am on Incapacity Benefit and have been for two years.


I am nearly 59, female and retired from work on health grounds two years ago with a degenerative lung condition. My state pension age is 62.


I would like to know whether I would be able to do some 'work' from home (computer work) i.e. selling on the internet. My earnings would be £30-£50 a week probably, before tax.


Hours worked would be under the 16 hours, probably 2 hours a day.


Would it be silly for me to approach the Benefits people and ask about this in these days of clamping down on claimants?


I am not fit for work and do hope they don't say I am, if they know that I am considering selling online from home. I don't want to do it and not declare it to the taxman - but once I have done that I guess the benefits people would find out anyway.


So I want to be completely above board about it but am scared to raise it with them in case they decide I could work in an office if I can sit at the computer at home.


Any advice would be gratefully received. I have looked at their Permitted Work details but not sure if any of it would apply to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was on IB I was only allowed to earn £20pw I think it was.


I was on the Income Support type of IB (not enough NI contributions) I think you can earn a lot more on Contribution Based IB.



Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, the first link is the one I had read and wondered if I would be ok under the second category; I haven't had a medical examination since being on IB but am on long term higher rate IB now.


With everything changing I may be called for a medical I guess.


I just wasn't sure if I contacted them to check if I could do this stuff, it would go against me when the clampdown begins next year.


I just want to do it all legally but if it is going to jeopardise my chances of staying on IB (or ESA or whatever) then I won't do it. Scared to ask them really I guess.


If I inform the taxman that I start selling online, does that automatically feed back to the benefits agency?


Has anyone asked the Benefits people about such things, do they send you a form to fill in or anything or is it just a yes or a no on the phone, whether you can go ahead and do it?

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...