Sold a dodgy car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car fro a garage last Dec. The engine management light came on after a couple of days. I contacted the dealer who sent me the garage he uses & said he would check it & fund the cost of anywork needed. The car was tested by the garage who said there was nothing wrong with it switched the light off & said it was probably because the car had been stood for sometime.

The management light came on again & I have discoverd by another garage it is a problem with the o2 filter.

I am trying to sell the car due to financial reasons but no local garage will have anything to do with it telling me that they know where I bought it & it was not faulty when purchased from the dealer.

I am concerned that I have been sold a dodgy car who no one will buy or tell me what is wrong with it. Also a friend noticed the make badge on the bonnet is upsidedown. Which in itself is strange.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

The guys will respond shortly.

Maybe if the post is moved to a more appropriate part of the forum it will get more response?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Yorkshire

Have you checked the history of the car? If there is anything dodgy about the car it will clearly be in it's history.

Here's a good place to start, go through all the points, could it be a 'Cut and Shut'? I'm not saying it is, I just want you to check, maybe thats why nobody is talking about it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2010/07/buying/inspecting-a-used-car

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/buying/buying/202620/spot_a_cut_and_shut.html 'How to spot a cut and shut on the right handside'.

Maybe make some discreate inquires with your Local Trading Standards about the retailer that sold you the car - have they had

any complaints.

Google the retailer add the word 'complaint' see what it throws up.

O2 filter? did they mean an O2 sensor or more commonly known as a lambda sensor. These cost around £35 for a pattern type. Providing you can get the old one out about 20 mins to fit.

I dont like the sound of local garages not touching it because of were you bought it. I suggest as above and do some research.

If it's an Astra esmerobbo you certainly won't get a lambda sensor for 35quid! I had 2 Astras that used to keep knacking up lambda sensors (well one of them particularly because I ran it on LPG which apparently burns too hot for the sensors!) and they cost about 60 or 70quid plus fitting.

If it's an Astra esmerobbo you certainly won't get a lambda sensor for 35quid! I had 2 Astras that used to keep knacking up lambda sensors (well one of them particularly because I ran it on LPG which apparently burns too hot for the sensors!) and they cost about 60 or 70quid plus fitting.

Next time you want one Give us £24.74 + VAT and you can have one.:-) Unless you had the Titania Sensor then that would be more expensive:wink:!

Edited by esmerobbo

It is the O2 senser not filter garage said it is misfiiering at start up but drives ok. Could it just be the sensor ?

Without getting too technical the O2 sensor measures the oxygen/fuel mixture leaving the engine and sends a message to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Failed O2 sensors normally cause rough idling not so much a miss fire.

If the engine fault code is saying its faulty and after resetting it again said fault. That would be the first item to replace, However the sensor may be faulty but it may not be causing the misfire.

Edited by esmerobbo