Raffle Prize Not Received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks. Long time since I posted anything on here. My battle with Lloyds TSB didn't go too well, but that's another story.....

Anyway.....

Getting on for 2 years ago now, I bought a raffle ticket on-board a charter train, and won the first prize (a pair of First Class tickets, including breakfast & dinner on any future train of my choice with the company). The on board host / guard / member of staff for the company took down full contact details, and said the prize would be in the post.

As I have said, almost 2 years have past, and despite several attempts to contact the company by letter, email, phone, and via another organisation I am involved with which has close commercial ties to the firm who owe the prize, I have heard nothing, with all attempts at communication being completely ignored. The company in question is most definatley still trading as a charter train operator, and from my knowledge as a railway enthusiast / ties with the other organisation, I know they are doing rather well.

The only proof that I purchased the ticket and won the prize would be the person I was travelling with, as the ticket had to be surrendered at the time my contact details were taken down. Given that the prize would be worth over £300, I am still keen to pursue this.

The next course of action I am thinking of is a recorded delivery letter, and I was wondering if anyone could offer guidance as to anything I can use / quote etc in order to get them to respond.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I'd be extremely surprised if it was a [problem] in the sense described above - the company involved have been trading for a few years now, and are a successful, well known and very well respected (within the railway industry anyway) limited company.

On-board raffles happen on virtually every charter train operated (I've been on over a dozen, each have held a raffle). Besides, they already had the name, address and card details of everyone of the 800 or so passengers.

I personally think it's a case of them trying to avoid giving away a (legitimately won) prize which they would otherwise sell for around £300.

And may I also say, as much as I appreciate people taking the time to reply to my post, I object to the inference of being careless / silly / thick etc.

It seems to me that the company that offered the prize is in breach of contract, so you could send them a Letter Before Action, and if they fail to respond, sue them. The raffle will have had to comply with the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976; it may be worth researching it to see if there is anything in it about organisers failing to supply prizes after taking money.

Do you still have the ticket you bought to travel on the train? Is the person you were travelling with prepared to make a statement?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.