Mould & Cockroaches...compensatio n?

gandolfi

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

If any of you can offer advice on how to take this forward, we would very much appreciate your help.

After a pretty terrible holiday this summer, my wife and I wrote a detailed letter of complaint to Thomson asking for compensation. We sent a PDF including our complaints and images of the sub-standard accommodation.

Their offer of compensation was just £160 of vouchers (to spend on one of their holidays!!!), which doesn't compensate us at all for a miserable holiday.

I'll try to sum up the complaints:

1) There was a large area (more than a square metre) of damp, efflorescent mould growing out from the wall next to my bed. Smell of damp in bedroom. Asked rep for something to be done but all they did was to scrape it off and paint over it. It had grown back within a couple of days. We asked if we could move but were told this wasn't possible.

2) Large cockroaches coming from drains in bathroom and through hole in ceiling

3) Apartment was not clean - mould in bathroom, on shower curtain, dirty toilet, hole in ceiling (from where cockroach came), woodwork on doors up to knee height was damp/rotten, smell of drains

4) Had to leave key in apt door if we wanted cleaner to come in - no security

5) Booked a car through the rep which didn't turn up - wasted whole day of holiday.

6) Tried to use Thomson's 24hr customer service line because we had no way of contacting rep directly, but received no response

7) Owner came straight into our apartment unannounced while i was putting sun tan lotion on my wife's back - could have been VERY embarrassing - no respect for our privacy.

We have holidayed in Greece for the last 20 years. We understand the difference between simple/basic accommodation and an apartment that is a potential health risk. The rep said that their Health & Safety inspector was coming in the following week to check the apartment - we requested a copy of the report (for our own health concerns) but were refused by customer service.

As you can imagine we are pretty fed up. Our only holiday of the year completely ruined.

We declined Thomson's offer of voucher compensation. They have written back saying that they think it's a fair offer.

What should we do next....?

All help and advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Gandolfi

Did you get any pics?

Did you report it properly to the rep?

If you think £160 by cheque would be acceptable write and tell them in writing. If you get a no you can take stock... mark your letter "without prejudice" if you make an offer in it and make it clear it is made at an early stage to avoid litigation, that way your back is covered later should you want to sue for more. KEEP YOUR LETTERS POLITE AND SIMPLE!

• 1 year later...