• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Notice of Assignment question

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3643 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, Global Arrow are threatening to take me to court for a debt assigned to them from MBNA.

Ok, I believe the CCA agreement is very likely enforceable as I took it out online in 2006. I have

a copy and from what little I know it has "a right to cancel" etc.

I have recieved a letter from "Global Arrow" and also an "Assignment Notice" from them.

The first letter I recieved reads....

"We refer to the above and to the previous letter advising you that the debt owed by you to MBNA has been assigned to Arrow Global. We are a Debt Collection Agency (DCA) and have been appointed to collect payment of your debt."

The letter which indicates "Notice of Assignment"

Debt Owed to Arrow Global Ltd

Amount Outstanding XXXXX

Assigned By MBNA

We advise you that MBNA has assigned all of its respective rights, title and interest in respect of the above referenced account (including the right to recieve payment of the outstanding balance) to Arrow Global limited, effective 12th June, 2010.

Total outstanding XXXX

Any payments made on this account after 12th June 2010 will be passed to Arrow Global Ltd and will be deducted from the current balance above.

It is essential that all future payments and correspondence regarding this account be directed to:-

(Their address in Glasgow)"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, it looks that they have "Absolute assignment" and therefore can take me to court?

However on another thread I have read the following. (Thread Aktiv)

There are two types of deed of assignment - equitable and absolute. The first assigns the right to pursue the debt to the assignee but not the obligation of the OC. The second assigns both the rights and obligations of the assignor to the assignee. However, in order for this to be legally binding you as the debtor would have to give your consent to such an assignment.

My question: If they have absolute assigment, can I refuse assignment to Arrow Global and if so how do I go about it? Is it a strong case?

Any help would be most appreciated

JJ

A deed of assignment comes under the law of property act, which has made me think I may have been giving out duff info where NOA's are concerned!!!!:undecided:

However a notice of assignment comes under the Consumer credit act, that said it would depend on the wording from the DCA or creditor as to which form of attack you would use.

So the letter you have from MBNA advising all payments to be sent to AG, is simply a notice of assignment as stated, and would therefore come under the CCA and requires no input from you, good question about Deeds of assignment mind, I'll have to have a dig about for that!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

However a notice of assignment comes under the Consumer credit act

Can you direct me to which part of the CCA, NoA comes under.

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

Hi Bazooka Boo, thanks for your reply. Im out of my depth here. All I

can say is the snippets of info in my original post, are copied exactly

from the letters.

What I need to know is that if it an "Absolute assignment" can I

do anything about it? The quote I posted from the other thread, suggests

I have to agree for it to be legally binding. But who the hell is going to agree

for a that to happen? Very confusing.

JJ

s 136 of the law of property 1925 states

Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt or other legal thing in action, of which express notice in writing has been given ..........

notice being Notice of Asignment.

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

NoA comes under S135 Law of Property Act 1925. If it's not done in accordance with that act, then the assignment may be equitable, which means Formal action CCJ etc., can't be done without the original creditor

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Hi Count 12

don't know if this will help make matters any clearer re Assignments

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/freedomofinformation/technical/technicalmanual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part9/part4/part_4.htm

Not 100% sure but if it is absolute then think they have to buy the debt for the whole amount you owed at the time. Sure I have read that somewhere maybe in the above.

cant remember where I have seen this but here it is

An absolute assignment is one that transfers the assignors entire interest to the assignee unconditionally, If less than his entire interest ( eg part of the debt) is transferred, or if any condition is attached to the transfer (eg that the consent of a third party be obtained) the assignment is not absolute

I made a note of this for mine and then asked for a copy of the DOA, they sent it to me minus the figure they bought it for (NEW THEY WOULD) but if it went to court you could always ask the judge for them to disclose that figure to make sure they did not pay less for the debt than they where suppose to if they did (which can you honestly see a DCA buying a debt for the full amount) then if I am reading the above right they would be up s##t creek if they were claiming the assignment was absolute!

Also on absolute assignments dates have to be correct etc as in the information in the post above.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tinkerman, thanks for your input. What is a "DOA"? Should I write to Global Arrow and

ask if the "Assignment" is absolute or equitable? Maybe a letter to MBNA?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Thanks again

JJ

Hi Pathway, I will check if MBNA have confirmed assignment, I recall a letter

saying they were going to sell the account on. That was months ago. However

im pretty certain that the only "offical" letter stating "NOA" is from Global Arrow.

I will check now.

Thanks

JJ

The Assignor MBNA does not have to give you notice.

The NoA does NOT have to be from the OC - it can be either from the Assignor or Assignee (Holt v Heatherfield Trust Ltd [1942] 2 KB 1

Edited by broken arrow

Hi Pathway, no I havent recieved a NOA from MBNA. I do have a default notice, and the amount on

this is the same as Arrow Global are claiming to the penny. However the default notice says I can remedy

the breach by paying an amount before 22nd June 2010, and yet the NOA from Arrow Global say they

were assigned the rights on the 12th June 2010? Is this significant? Looks like they Arrow Global were

assigned the rights before the default notice was issue?

Thanks

JJ