ripped off on ebay

MrFury

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, I recently made a purchase an electronic item on eBay, the seller offered only delivery in person only. The item was advertised as new, unused with a guarantee. They delivered plugged it in it appeared to be legit, so I made the mistake and played in cash. Don’t know why I did that and it doesn’t seem like pay pal has been any assistance to others here. However the product failed after 30 mins, and on further investigation the product has a log internally and reported it had been used many times before. Seller has refused to refund, honour any guarantee and also the serial numbers on there eBay Add are false as don’t match the item. Now I understand about the 'distance selling rules' and also the 'sale of goods act 1979'. If an item is not as described or faulty i.e. not fit for purpose then they have to refund within 30 days. However as expected the seller won’t speak to me anymore and eBay just closed the case in their favour.

As far as I am aware this is breaking the law but is it a criminal offence or a civil one, will the police act as people have stated in other post they may be interested if this is classed as criminal offence, as far as i can see it is criminal offence. also this is a big seller over 1500 ebay transactions so they must be classed as a business?

Any advice greatly appreciated

MrFury

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems with ebay.

Can i ask is the seller a business or a private seller? And why did Ebay close the case in the sellers favour?

All business sellers must display their contact details at the bottom of their listings. If they are a private seller you can contact ebay for their details.

I would speak to trading standards as they helped me with a courier company.

When you have these details I would send a letter (recorded) stating you want to cancel the order and have you money back. If not you may have to go down the small claims .

It would also be a good idea to print out the original order you placed via Ebay as after 90 days the details get archived and are harder to get back.

JJ

Hi

They appear as a private seller.

ebay dont give a reason when they close a case, it seems they prefer to make more money from seller and they dont care if the sellers break the law.

Have you had any success getting ebay to give you details of a private sellar.

Mrfury

Hi, if you are on your ebay 'my ebay' page click on the 'advanced' button next to the search button at the top of the page. Then on the left hand side click on 'Members contact information'. You will then have to input the sellers ID and the item number. You should then get an email sent to you (in a couple of days) with the sellers information. If it comes back that the sellers has put false info i.e 123 anyroad, anytown this must be reported as again this breaks ebay's terms and conditions.

Hope this helps

JJ