Proving what you've posted

care4me1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section, I'm a bit confused by the look of the site since I last logged in. :oops:

My question is - is there a way to prove the contents of a letter you have sent to someone? So for instance, if you send something by Special Delivery and get the report from Royal Mail to show that it was received and signed for - you still cannot prove what you sent.

So is there a way to get proof that you posted something, that it was received, and the actual contents?

I think I used a fax machine once that used to print a copy of sent faxes, is that the only way to do this?

Thanks

CFM

Hi care

You can prove a letter was delivered, the date it was received, it's useful if something has to arrive by a certain date.

But there clearly isn't a record of the contents, unless a copy was faxed as well.

The usual way to do this is to post TWO copies of the document, oine to the intended recipient, and the other to yourself, by the same means. When you receive it, you retain it unopened. In the case of dispute, you can then produce the sealed item (perhaps in court?) and use this as proof that the item was sent. It's hardly ideal, but better than nothing if the actual contents being posted were not witnessed by an independent third party.

• 1 month later...

Even this is not fail safe as who is to say that you ever put those documents in the original envelope posted by the same means on the same day? The only true way would be to have an independent witness with you a solicitor. Who would know the contents you put in the letter and either he send these for you or is with you when they are sent. I know it sounds pathetic how far one must go to prove anything these days.

IT seems that you need a solicitor or independent witness with you at all times what ever you do these days.

It's quite an accepted process, the copy letter can of course.be kept for safekeeping by a solicitor, but it is the opening of the envelope that is the key, and it is this that needs the witness. It is the minimising of interference that creates the confidence in the document. Sure, you can take this to the nth degree, but as long as the actions are 'reasonable' there should be nothing to worry about.