Global Debt recovery and GE Capital

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post so please forgive my ignorance if it's in the wrong place or been answered before.

I have had 2 letters from global today.

One with regards to a long standing Reader Digest order we didn't place but I had stupidly rang them about it and they then followed with a 'pay within 14 Days the sum of £74.80.

so basically I know about this one.

But now letter 2 is claiming on behalf of GE Capital £1,627.16 for which I know nothing about... my question is how can I find out about the debt without admitting to it as this maybe over 6 years ago?

Thanks in advance

Hi & Welcome to CAG..

The GE Cr@pital letter you can either file it away under ignore and wait for something much more concrete, or start a game of letter tennis with them.

Personally I would ignore it, as it is possibly them on a fishing trip.

If you know nothing about it, then there is nothing for you to do about it except ignore.

Keep an eye on your credit file also, to see if they have been searching it or placing any defaults on it.

I don't quite understand the Readers Digest (RD) one, how can they charge you for something you didn't order?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi, Bazooka,

well for the readers digest one they produced a list of books we apparently ordered... one was a Bob the Builder book but I have 2 daughters one 8 and the other 13 so I don't see why we would have !

Ah yes I will have a check on my file ... but you think the best thing is to ignore it at this point ?

Dear Sir or Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collectionlink3.gif, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully